VMware Cloud Community
hitchcock4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to Import a Template?

We now have two ESX setups - one for our new datacenter, and on for our smaller datacenter at our headquarters.

I have copied the individual files needed for the VM Templates - no need to create a new template, right?

In the Datastore Browser, when I attempt to add the *.vmtx file to the inventory i get an error stating "The operation is not supported on the object".

Any ideas of what I need to do differently? I am copying from ESX 3.02 to ESX 3.5 but I do not think that should matter. I did the same with 1 full virtual machine (while powered off, of course) and I was able to import that fine (after editing the .VMX file

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Templates are a function of the virtual center, are you connected to VC, and browsing your datastore, or connected to the esx server directly?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Sounds like you're doing it right. If you're having trouble with a template and are having success with a true VM, maybe you should try converting the template back to a VM then copy the VM over to the second site. If it registers there, then convert it back to a template on that site.

- Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Templates are a function of the virtual center, are you connected to VC, and browsing your datastore, or connected to the esx server directly?

-KjB

0 Kudos
hitchcock4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

KjB -- To be clear, I am using the " VMware Virtual Infrastructure Client" to connect, but there is not a centralized datastore, since this is 1 server (1 host). Therefore, from the VMware VI Client, I connect directly to that host.

From there, I can browse the datastore and I can right-click on the template and "Add to Inventory". It starts the wizard, but later end up with the message I showed above.

I will most likely convert it to a real VM, transfer it, then convert back to a template.

Thanks

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as kjb said templeate are a virtual center feature - so you will need to have virtual center to be able to add it to your inventory - even if you convert back to a vm then load into standalone single host you will not be able to convert back to a template -

If you need to use templeates what you will have to do is have both ESX environemnt spart of the same Virtual Center environmen in their own datacenter inventory obkects - that way you would be able to have templates and be able to reploy to any ESX host -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Right, you can't use templates without a vc. You can simulate the functionality, using converter, and with the template seen as a vm. Change template to a vm, and then run converter against it as often as you need. This is about as close to a "templatized deployment" that you'll have without vc.

-KjB

0 Kudos
hitchcock4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I see what you guys are saying now. I also can't convert a VM to a template.

I will most likely need to setup a VC to go along with the single-host we have in the local datacenter.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos