VMware Cloud Community
benny_hauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do you see where an RDM metadata vmdk is pointing?

I have some RDM-mapped vmdk files (should just be holding metadata, pointing to a raw lun, right?). They aren't used by any VMs and I just need a way to interrogate them to see where they are pointing.

All the commands I've used so far treats those files as if they actually contained the data in the RDM raw device, instead of just being a small stub of a file (ls, du, more, etc).

I've got VI3 and ESX2.5 hosts that can see these files, though they are all stored on VMFS2 at the moment.

Any ideas?

Benny Hauk Systems Admin, VCP3/VCP4 LifeWay Chrstian Resources
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Benny,

Try vmkfstools -q filename.vmdk or vmkfstools --queryrdm filename.vmdk

-q is lowercase.

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Benny,

Try vmkfstools -q filename.vmdk or vmkfstools --queryrdm filename.vmdk

-q is lowercase.

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series
0 Kudos
benny_hauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks - that did it for me. I ought to add that it seems the '-q' (and the '--queryrdm') are only available on ESX3, not ESX 2.5. However, you can execute this command from ESX3 on a file stored in a VMFS2 filesystem, and it'll work.

0 Kudos
benny_hauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As a follow-up: if I run 'rm meta-data-file.vmdk' it won't wipe out the raw data on the SAN will it? Just the tiny little meta data file (just the VMDK pointer) right?

0 Kudos