VMware Cloud Community
Addammer
Contributor
Contributor

Host connection is lost during 12:00am and 3:00am

I recently set up a new ESX3.5 server and found that consistently, every night, the host loses connection with our VC, but then comes right back. We get alarmed about this and would love to make it stop.

Also, occasionally when I clone a machine, or change the settings of any of the VMs running under the host I see the host disconnect, but then come right back.

-I've allocated 800Mb of memory to the service console and we are still getting these errors.

-Memory and CPU usage is fine.

-When looking at the performance charts you can literally see the host disconnect for 10 seconds or so and then come back online

Ideas?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

When you increased rhe service console memory did you also increase the service console swap space? It needs to be at least 1.6 GB (2 x 800 MB) also do you have anything running at that time like a back up job saturating your network?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Addammer
Contributor
Contributor

I double checked and the only back up jobs we do run at midnight and rarely last past 12:30. I did not change the swap space. Is that something I can do in the VI Client?

0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We experience this too, various hosts disconnecting and reconnecting at seemingly random times. The email alerts that are generated get to be sort of a "boy who cried wolf" thing where we more or less ignore them. I'd like to know why it happens but it hasn't seemed important enough to spend a lot of time on - at least not so far.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes changing the swap space is necessary, it needs to be at least 2 times the amount of memory assigned to the service console - it is done by repartitioning the boot disk or reinstalling ESX - I would check your swap space by running the command free from the Service Console - if it is not 1600 MB and if you are not comfortable witht that I would drop your Service Console back to the original size -

0 Kudos