VMware Cloud Community
gheywood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX server no longer seeing a VMFS volume

Hello,

I have a bit of a problem. I am doing an upgrade from 3.5 to 4.0. As part of the process, I am putting my ESX 3.5 in a temp VC with an ESX 4.0 host, shutting down the VM's, and migrating to the new h/w and storage volume. It has been working pretty well so far. Well, apart from the latest ESX server.

The host is configured with:

-3 NIC's on the LAN network

-1 NIC for the SC (also on the LAN network)

-2 NIC's on the SAN network (SAN VMPG for the iSCSI initiators, the SAN Service Console, and the VMK).

There are only two VM's on this ESX host (one of them is a real resource hog). One was on local storage, and the other one was on a VMFS volume (VMFS2) which is stored on iSCSI storage.

Basically, I took the 3.5 host out of the production 3.5 VC, added it to the temp VC, shutdown the VM's and chose to migrate host and storage. At his point, I got a nasty message about the guest files not being accessible. The VM is now grayed-out, and marked as inaccessible. The other VM (on local storage) seems OK.

I have checked the security on the storage and it seems fine. I have done a rescan of the iSCSI adapter on the host and the VMFS2 volume is not listed on the summary screen. If I go into configuration on the host, then storage adapters, and look at the iSCSI adapter, I do see the VMFS2 volume listed (SCSI Target 8). If I look at the VMFS2 volume on another host, I can see the "inaccessible" VM with no problems. From the problem host, I can also see another volume on the same SAN with no issues (and browse it).

So, any idea's why that one volume is causing issues on that one host?

I am a bit stuck and it is production VM Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
gheywood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A bit more info. The storage (Equallogic) is seeing the connection from the host (good news). However, this is not limited to one host. I just tried to connect another ESX 3.5 host to the volume and have the same thing (bad news).

0 Kudos