VMware Cloud Community
Rchab
Contributor
Contributor

Drag Drop to console

Hello

I try to do drag and drop a file from my computer to an esx virtual machine console. But it did not work.

I want to know if it is possible like host computer and workstation virtual machine ?

My esx virtual machine is not in the same network segement, but I want to exchange file from my computer to this VM.

What is the solution ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you cannot drag and drop to ESX like you can with workstation. What you will need to do is download WinSCP or Veeams FastFCP in order to get files from your local workstation to ESX

0 Kudos
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately, you can't drop files onto the console window of the VI Client (which is what I'm assuming you want to do).

mike

mike

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Remember in many respects you want to treat your VMs like you do a regualar server - if the VM were physical how would you get a file to it - you would map a drive and copy it to it

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Rchab
Contributor
Contributor

So How can I copy a file from my computer wich is on a differente network of my virtual machine?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What operating systems is running on the VM? If it is Linux you can use freeware tool like WinSCP or if it is windows you can map a shared volume - if it is truly a seperate network and you can not route to it then the only way to get a file to your vm is create a cd and mount it locally or create an ISO image and mount that - this can also be done via a floppy image -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos