VMware Cloud Community
marconi_sim
Contributor
Contributor

Configure IP address with multiple card

All,

I will have 6 different network cards doing different task and i need to configure them on my host machine. (virtual client not possible). where do i get to configure them? I haven't in touch with linux for a while so if possible please provide step by step guide.

Thank heaps

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

On this page there's a ESX 3.0 console guide which should give you the help you need: http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/?page_id=7

0 Kudos
marconi_sim
Contributor
Contributor

I did go through the file and i start to reliased my problem is not only as simple as that. Basically i have HP dl380G5 with dual network card on board and another 3 external network points. When i installing esx it seems to be fine and assign to the right adpater. However, I am not able to even ping anything at all once i got the software install and loaded..I did many approaches of troubleshooting and it will take ages for me to write then all down but i am very sure the my switches is working fine and all that...I used to install a lot machine before but never with mutiple nics

Is there a problem or something i sure be aware whenever installing with mutliple nic? any help is appreciate. thanks.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Things will generally work OK with more than multiple NICs. The service console will be running on the NIC that you assigned the IP address to during the install.

If you run esxcfg-nics -l Do all the NICs show up with the link being up and having the correct speed and duplex setting that you would expect?

0 Kudos
bister
Expert
Expert

Do you want to assign all NICs to the service console!? Or do you want to configure your 3 extra NICs for virtual machine communication? In the latter case you have to configure virtual switches and connect them to those NICs. Then you create virtual machines and connect them to those virtual switches. There is no need to configure IP adresses for the physical NICs in ESX, you configure IP adresses for the virtual NICs in your virtual machines.

To configure virtual switches connect to the ESX server with the Virtual Infrastructure Client, you'll get that app by going to http://ip-or-hostname-of-your-esx and selecting the "Virtual Infrastructure Client"-download-link.

0 Kudos