VMware Cloud Community
garyfritz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Clone ESX with Altiris?

I have an ESX server with several pre-configured VMs. I want to replicate this ESX image onto 6 blades, so each blade can provide those VMs to a student team in a classroom. I want all the student VMs to be identical (same IPs, etc) since all student networks are isolated, so cloning the ESX server is perfect for me.

This must be an easily replicatable process so other instructors can create their own environment. I need (or very strongly want) to use HP RDP/Altiris to do this cloning operation. Are there any tricks to capturing an image of ESX with Altiris, and then deploying that image to other blades?

After deploying the clone images, I think I would have to do these steps:

• Boot each ESX individually and connect with VIClient

• Change the hostname (under Configuration -> Software -> DNS and routing)

• Change the IP address -- how? Do I do it in the service console as shown in http://www.ozvms.com/content/view/160/9/ ?

• Reboot all ESXs

• Add all ESXs to VirtualCenter

...or is there a way to have the hostname/IP set during the Altiris deploy operation, like you can do with Windows boxes?

Thanks,

Gary

0 Kudos
20 Replies
garyfritz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Craig, I believe you are referring to scripted installs, are you not? I've already got that working. I was looking for an imaging capability that would let me fully set up my ESX server, complete with a set of preconfigured VMs, and replicate that system to other blades. From what I can tell, that isn't supported.

0 Kudos