VMware Cloud Community
ipguy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

V2V 2003 ?

Hi all

I'm interested in V2V'ing our 2003 VM's so i can change the multi virtual CPU setup to a single virtual CPU.

Any reason why this wouldn't work ?

If not what tools are required ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should just be able tor educe the cpu count because with Windows 2003 there is no need to replace the HAL - the standard HAL will support up to 4 CPUs - but if you want to hot clone the VM you can actually use vmware converter to create a new vm -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should just be able tor educe the cpu count because with Windows 2003 there is no need to replace the HAL - the standard HAL will support up to 4 CPUs - but if you want to hot clone the VM you can actually use vmware converter to create a new vm -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ipguy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

are you sure i can just reduce the cpu count ?

what about linux (centos5 in particular?)

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

for w2k3 I am positive but if you want to wait until someone else chimes in - the worse thing that happens is you raise the count back up -

In terms of the Centos VM - I will defer to a more experienced Linux admin but it will depend on the Linux Kernel you are running -

ipguy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yep, can confirm that with 2003, you can simply modify the cpu count and windows restarts with said modification.

testing CentOS5 now to see if it will play nice

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Weinstien is correct in his assumption about win2K3, however linux is a completely different kettle of fish, bearing in mind that Linux support is only expermental in Convertor, I would say maybe not. (craveat I have not attempted this so this is a gut feeling) you may be able to do something like kudzu to force a hardware rescan ti downgrade the kernal, but again I am not too sure (I an not a Linux guy!!)

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It correct that W2K3, W2K, XP, etc will "work" with one vCPU and a multiprocessor kernel. However, you should also downgrade the HAL. I have heard, though not witnessed, that using a multi processor HAL on one cpu reduces perfromance.

dave

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
jose_maria_gonz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you have installed the UP Linux kernel a long with the SMP linux kernel you should be alright.

rgds,

J.

0 Kudos