VMware Cloud Community
dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Service Console Redundancy

I am trying to create service console redundancy. My setup is as follows:

vmic0-service console(vswitch0)

vmnic1-vmnic2-virtual machines(vswitch1)

vmnic3-vmotion(vswitch2)

Can I share one of the NICs from the vmotion or virtual machine switches?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

you can't share nics between vSwitches! but you could delete vSwitch2, add vmnic3 to vSwitch0 and setup the service console as active on vmnic0 and standby on vmnic3. configure vmotion/vmkernel as active on vmnic3 and standby on vmnic0. this way you would have redundancy with only 4 nics.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

you can't share nics between vSwitches! but you could delete vSwitch2, add vmnic3 to vSwitch0 and setup the service console as active on vmnic0 and standby on vmnic3. configure vmotion/vmkernel as active on vmnic3 and standby on vmnic0. this way you would have redundancy with only 4 nics.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks!! I just set that up. Basically we had an issue yesterday where a switch rebooted so the service console lost connectivity to the network. The server is part of a HA cluster so all the vms started on the other host. Hopefully this will prevent this issue.

0 Kudos
ndmuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it right that both nics you use for redundancy (Server console and VMKernel) should be connected to two different physical switches?

0 Kudos
dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That would be correct. It would protect the esx host if a switch goes down. If both nics are plugged into the same switch and you lose the switch the service console would lose connectivity to the network.

0 Kudos