VMware Cloud Community
jared1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Qlogic QLE2460 shows as QLA2432 in Vi Client

I have a brand new Dell AX-150 FC SAN connected to a Dell 2950 via a Brocade 200E switch. In the ViC my HBAs are showing as QLA2432s instead of QLE2460s. Is this correct?

The I/O Compatibility guide shows "Device: QLE2460 Driver: qla2x00_707 Ver: 7.04.00". Does this mean I shouldn't install the updated driver 7.07.04? (Qlogic's site says these drivers are actually provided BY VMware)

http://support.qlogic.com/support/oem_product_detail_vmware.asp

How do I install the driver on ESX from the console?

Additionally:

Do I need to enable the BIOS on the HBAs?

Do I need to update the BIOS? I'm on 1.12, 1.24 available but I'm not sure it is recommended for ESX: http://download.qlogic.com/boot_code/56492/readme_mboot_4gb_156cf.html

I'm new to SANs & VMware - so needless to say I've jumped off in the deep end.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I've seen this with Qlogic, they all seem to show up as QLA2342, I don't know why and to be honest it's not a problem, so long as the hba you use is on the HCL I wouldn't be too concerned.

as regards the driver version, unless you have a specific error/problem that VMware have identified as being related to the driver version then don't go away from the built in driver.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I don't know if this is correct, but device driver version depends on which ESX version are you using.

For both Qlogic hba the driver is the same on ESX 3.0.1.

If you see driver version 7.04.00 I think you are using ESX 3.

Try upgrading to ESX 3.0.1.

BIOS updates can be made, you shouldn't update device drivers.

whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I've seen this with Qlogic, they all seem to show up as QLA2342, I don't know why and to be honest it's not a problem, so long as the hba you use is on the HCL I wouldn't be too concerned.

as regards the driver version, unless you have a specific error/problem that VMware have identified as being related to the driver version then don't go away from the built in driver.

0 Kudos