VMware Cloud Community
ygao
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to restart a VM when it blue screens

Anyone have an inputs on whether there are any options in ESX 3.5 that if the OS (Windows 2003) blue screened, it will reboot it self?

I know in HP, there is a function if the OS isn't reachable, it will automatically reboot. Is there a similar function in ESX? I have few server that just blue screen and uses alot of resource when it stuck on the blue screen.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have virtual center you can set an alarm on loss of VM Heartbeat to restart the VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have virtual center you can set an alarm on loss of VM Heartbeat to restart the VM -

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

HP has a function built into its BIOS called ASR or automatic system recovery. This feature is not available in the PhoenixBIOS that is available to VM's within ESX.

I would suggest using DRS to limit the resources that the problem servers consume when they bluescreen, or try to eliminate the bluescreen all together.

0 Kudos