VMware Cloud Community
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to get guests into ESX? Also, VM2.0 > ESX, How???

I want to try some of the appliances in the appliance listings but not many seem to be for ESX. ESX seems to be looking for OVF extensions only and doesn't seem to work with the vmdk files. So, how does one install appliances which aren't OVF??

Also, is there any simple way of moving VMware Serve 2.0 win clients to ESXi?

Thanks.

Mike

0 Kudos
14 Replies
gary1012
Expert
Expert

Are you trying to import to ESXi? If so, are you using the Import Virtual Appliance Wizard?

VMware Converter should be able to help on the export/import.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I figured I need to import the server 2.0 guests but wondered if there was some other way, such as connecting direct to the running guest.

As for installing appliances, I don't really know what I need to do yet. Does an appliance need to be converted right off the bat to be installed onto esx?

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert

Appliances are usually in OVF format. You only need to import them using the wizard.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you mean in the conversion tool or in VMware Infrastructure Client? I don't see any such files which come with any of these appliances.

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When using the client, it seems that only the first screen displayed are ESX importable guests? Going beyond that screen seems to be guests which would require conversions.

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert

The handful of appliances I've used were compressed. You'll need to uncompress them prior to import.

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I've also done that :). The appliances in the first screen which the ESX client takes you to all install right over the client. I've not seen any others which do that.

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One of the errors is;

An error occured while parsingthe OVF descriptor:

Unexpected DTD declaration, Line 1, position 3.

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What tool were you talking about here? I've got the converter and workstation. Neither will install on any of the guests and neither seems to have an import tool for NT/XP win guests running on vmware server 2.0.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Try to import other applicances to rule out the possibility of corrupt appliance.

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

These are one NT, two XP guests running on VMware Server 2.0 currently and seem to be fine.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

are you able to play same applicance in the VMPlayer.

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure what you mean? Do you mean am I able to install vmware tools for example, or converter, things like that?

Someone had suggested installing converter or workstation on the guest but the guest/vmware won't allow it. The install fails. The guests are running just fine as win machines on vmware 2.0, I just need to get them off of there and onto the newer esx server.

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found a simple solution. Take any appliance, just use the converter or workstation to convert/export onto the esx server as it needs to be anyhow.

Mike

0 Kudos