VMware Cloud Community
shantesh
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Resource Utilization

Hello everyone,

We have a ESX 3.02 Host on an IBM Blade with 8GB of Memory. 4 VM's are hosted with 2GB RAM each. The vm's utilize less than 10% of the allocated RAM, but the ESX host shows 90% memory allocation. Beacuse of this I cannot allocate more vm's to the ESX Host and do a overcommit.

Please anyone can let me know why does the host has high memory utilization when all the vm's are using moderate memory.

The Service console has 800MB allocated.

The resource allocation in all vm's is:

Shares: normal

Reservation: 0

Limit: unlimited

The System Resource allocation of memory of ESX Server is:

Shares: custom 10000

Reservation: 0MB Expandable Reservation

Limit: Unlimited 8191

Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanx & Regards,

Shanty

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, allocation is what you have allocated to the vm. What number are you referring to? If you look at the resource allocation tab of the ESX host, what numbers do you see for Memory Reservation, Used, and Unreserved? Under the summary tab, what do you see for memory usage?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
shantesh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kjb,

Here is the info you needed.

Memory reservation: 6662MB

Memory reservation Used: 315.09MB

Memory Unreserverd: 6346.91

In the Summary Tab the Memory Usage is 7.12 GB

Thanx & Regards,

Shanty

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

From the resource allocation side, you seem to have enough memory to add additional servers. Have you installed the vmware tools in your vm's? That would be a good place to start. If your memory usage is high, look also at the virtual machines tab, and see which vm's are using high numbers with guest and host memory usage.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Is your host part of an HA-enabled cluster? If so, you may have exhausted your failover capacity set-aside.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers[/url]

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why don't you lower the RAM allocated to those VM's to a proper level and try to see what happens then?

It also looks like you have a DRS setup, is this true? I'm basing this off of you stating there is about 6 gigs of memory reserved and only 300mb is being used.

0 Kudos