VMware Cloud Community
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor

Connection dropping for a split second to ESX Host when in VI Client

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can helpme out with a pretty major problem we are having with out ESX server (3.0.2 build 52542) and VI Client 2.0.2 (Build 50618). We are currenly running about 5 vm machines running windows 200, 2003 and 2008 server. One of the servers is used to store people's windows roaming profile andworks fine without a problem most of the time.

I have major problems when i try and do anything in the VI Client from my desktop. I recently tried to build another couple of machines in there and every so often the VI client hangs for a few seconds and the whole office's (50 users) desktops disappear and they have to log out and back in again. As you can imagine i get a lot of stick for this. The drop outs happen when i try and reboot any of the new virtual machines I am trying to put together.

Admittedly the server isn't finely performance optimised. The server is a 2 x quadcore xeons with 8 gb of ram and I dont think the VM's put the hardware under considerable amount of stress.

This is increasingly becoming a big problem as we have had to build a couple of new servers as VMs and ended up having to get a couple of desktops and install VMware server to get them up and running. As we have left the ESX server alone for two weeks it has been working fine.

Anyone any ideas? I know it is a broad subject but i would appreciate any tips. I was thinking about upgrading the client and esx box to the latest edition.

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
wilson94t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is the first time I've seen someone other than me illustrate this problem, with one difference. I only see it for my Linux VM's.

If i ping a linux VM, it responds normally until I launch the remote console window. During the time that the remote console window opens up to 10 seconds, all things considered, the ping will timeout.

Once the remote console window opens, the ping returns as normal. I have several hundred systems which all behave the same way. (ESX 3.0.1 with all patches and hundreds of linux VM's). VMware does not believe me (WTF?) and even after I've had an engineer came on site to witness the problem, a training class held onsite, and the trainer saw the problem - support simply says they've come up empty.

I can make the problem reoccur most times, but not every time. This seems to be the crux of the problem. It's not my config, because I let a VMware engineer on site build the ESX system himself, and the problem was still there.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to upgrade to ESX 3.5.0 and see if that helps you. I have not done sufficient testing on ESX 3.5.0 to comment about this particular issue on that platform as of yet.

0 Kudos