VMware Edu & Cert Community
Krisrm
Contributor
Contributor

VCP DCV 2023 upgrade path?

Happy new year!

Is there any article on how to update VCP DCV 2022 to VCP DCV 2023?

what training will satisfy the requirement?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Give them some time to prepare it for us. Something will be released for sure

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would expect this page to be updated once the requirements are confirmed: https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-dcv.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

I would not be surprised if even something new will be prepared.

0 Kudos
SharelleP
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A detailed list will be coming soon, but a brief summary of training that applies includes vSphere Fast Track; Install, Config, Manage; Operate, Scale and Secure; Optimize and Scale; Troubleshooting; and What's New. Specific versions (V7 or V8) apply.

SharelleP
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The updated web pages with all qualifying training was published today. https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-dcv.html

0 Kudos
avarcher
Commander
Commander

Hi Sharelle

It still links to the v7 exam, I have already passed this exam, is there an expected date for the v8 exam?

Thanks, Andy.

0 Kudos
Krisrm
Contributor
Contributor

I see vmware updated the certification requirements for VCP DCV 2023 now.

I already went through vSphere 7 course and completed Professional VMware vSphere 7.x (2V0-21.20) in 2022. Looks like to upgrade to VCP DCV 2023 I need to do the same training  or write the same exam again in 2023? Makes no sense.

0 Kudos
Rolando_Kohl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

why do you need to update your VCP-DCV 2022 certification, if you did the ICM7 course, the only thing that I think that can help you is to take the new ICM8 or what's news vsphere 8 course, to have knowledge of the new features, but it makes no sense to have the certification in VCP-DCV 2023 if you already have it in 2022, unless you do what I mentioned.

If you think your queries have been answered, Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Rolando Kohl
Cloud Architect - Argetina VMUG Leader
vExpert 2014 - 2021
vExpertPRO
VMware Instructor VMware IT Academy

Rolando Kohl
VMware Certified Instructor - Cloud Architect - Argetina VMUG Leader - vExpert 2014 - 2024
vExpertPRO

VMware Instructor VMware IT Academy

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmkohl/
0 Kudos
Krisrm
Contributor
Contributor

Since I already took the necessary course and exam in 2022 shouldn’t I be already meet the VCP DCV 2023 requirements? My certificate should automatically renewed to VCP DCV 2023

0 Kudos
Krisrm
Contributor
Contributor

Why do I have to upgrade to the latest one? Because VMware released a new one and my company requires me to keep my cert current. Also falling behind 2-3 yrs path to certification has more requirements for the upgrade

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your VCP is awarded based on the year in which you first completed the requirements.

Say you completed the training in 2021 and passed the exam in 2022, your VCP is 2022.

If you passed the exam in 2022 and completed the training in 2023, your VCP is 2023.

So you need to do SOMETHING in 2023 (training or exam) to be a VCP for 2023.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
Krisrm
Contributor
Contributor

Which exactly does not make any sense. So vmware is saying do the same training again or pass the same exam again this year to renew the certification. Say if vmware does not release a new vsphere version for 3 years then we have to go though the same course training every year to upgrade the cert?

I think the earlier format was better where certification was awarded based on version like VCP 6 or VCP 7.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can't pass the same exam again, but can take additional training.

I'm sure an exam for vSphere 8 will be released soon, you could complete a different vSphere 7 or vSphere 8 training (there are many qualifying classes), or stick with your VCP 2022 - you choose.

0 Kudos
SharelleP
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A new exam that will also qualify for the VCP -DCV 2023 will be available soon. We don't release new exams on a yearly cadence - they are released when the competencies being tested warrant it. 

0 Kudos
avarcher
Commander
Commander

Hi Scott, great to hear from you!

I'm 2021 and my VCI is due in April and I'd like to get it fixed up ASAP. I did all the recorded TTTs for v8 ICM and OSnS, is this enough or do I need a 'real' attendance, or do I just need to wait for the v8 exam? My belief is that it's the latter.

Many thanks, Andy.

Edit: Thanks also Sharelle, same question please.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey Andy! Good to see your name pop up here - it's been a long time...!

I don't follow what the VCI requirements are these days, back in my day you were always expected to hold the latest certification but that was when the only way of doing that was to pass an exam.

Hopefully Sharelle can say more...

0 Kudos
TimVCI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Andy - Viewing the TTT recordings for any of the classes does't count as class attendance with regards to recertification I'm afraid.

Also, as a VCP 2021, you only had until the end of last year (2022) if you wanted to renew just by attending a qualifying course. 

It sounds like you are in the same situation as I was last year where I wanted to renew and was unable to sit the 2V0-21.20 exam again as I had already passed it. 

I hope that an updated version of the exam is released soon. 

avarcher
Commander
Commander

Sorry Scott, I thought this was a VCI thread, I'll repost in VCI. Great to bump into you, thanks!!

0 Kudos
KufreNkanang
Contributor
Contributor

So, I passed the exam December, 2022 and completed the ICM v7 training yesterday 20/1/2023 since the on-demand training I did in 2022 didn't reflect on VMware learning portal.

Will I be expecting a VCP 2023?

0 Kudos