VMware Edu & Cert Community
OsvaldoRamirez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Diference between VCAP-NV Deploy 2020 and VCAP-NV Design 2020

Hello dear friends.

I would like to take the VCAP-NV certification exam, but I have a question when scheduling my exam

I have noticed that there are two ways to get VCAP-NV certified which are VCAP-NV Deploy 2020 and VCAP-NV Design 2020.

My question is:

If I took the VMware NSX-T Data Center: Troubleshooting and Operations [V2.4] course, will I be able to take the exam for VCAP-NV Design 2020 certification and what is the difference between VCAP-NV Deploy 2020 and VCAP-NV Design 2020 ?

Thanks for your reply!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If I took the VMware NSX-T Data Center: Troubleshooting and Operations [V2.4] course, will I be able to take the exam for VCAP-NV Design 2020 certification?

There is no hard training requirement for a VCAP, it’s optional rather than mandatory. I would never expect a course to teach me everything I need to know for passing an exam.

VCP certifications have a mandatory training requirement for first-timers, but the pre-requisite for all VCAPs is a VCP. What VCP do you already hold?

What is the difference between VCAP-NV Deploy 2020 and VCAP-NV Design 2020?

Deploy exams are live lab environments where you have to setup certain features and functions and troubleshoot problems. Design exams are based on the theoretical best practice solution for a given scenario.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
30 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hey, hope you are doing fine.

Design exam refers to teorical questions, what if scenarios, maybe some arrow pointing excercises

Deploy exam is a practical exam in which you are given real life scenarios and you have to solve via GUI, API and CLI

I can provide my experience from version 2019 exam (which it was a single exam):

It was the most difficult exam i ever gave
3 hours of teorical questions and practical exercises which would stack up (for example deploying NSX in a cluster)
if you done those wrong the exam would have gone complely wrong.

You have to have a LOT of practice an the theory very clear, if not you will lose time and every second counts.

IMHO with only a course it will not be enough, you will have to complement with extensive Documentation understanding and a lot of HOL hours.

Hope this had been useful

Warm regards

Nacho

0 Kudos
OsvaldoRamirez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer, nachogonzalez

Well my question was more focused in the sense that I have more experience with NSX-T 2.4 and I see that the VCAP-NV Deploy 2020 certification still focuses on NSX-V 6.2, honestly if I have practiced some Hands on Lab from " NSX -V ", but I feel like my skills are better at NSX-T.

Also, I see that the VCAP-NV Design 2020 certification is more focused on NSX-T 2.4

As far as I know NSX-V will be discontinued in 2022, or do you know if the updated version of the VCAP-NV Deploy 2020 certification is already available and where can I find the exam with the NSX-T 2.4 version?

I would also like to take the time to ask if there would be a conflict if I go for the VCAP-NV Design 2020 certification in case there is no exam updated to NSX-T 2.4.

thanks for your reply

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

IMHO you should have a strong knowledge from both
Since VMware's tech focus is going to NSX-T exams on NSX-V has a solid background.
regarding where exams are available, i'm not sure if forum's rules allow to share that information
But it is easy to find if you google (at least for VCP's) not sure on VCAPs.  Also I don't suggest trusting too much on those things

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the VCAP area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If I took the VMware NSX-T Data Center: Troubleshooting and Operations [V2.4] course, will I be able to take the exam for VCAP-NV Design 2020 certification?

There is no hard training requirement for a VCAP, it’s optional rather than mandatory. I would never expect a course to teach me everything I need to know for passing an exam.

VCP certifications have a mandatory training requirement for first-timers, but the pre-requisite for all VCAPs is a VCP. What VCP do you already hold?

What is the difference between VCAP-NV Deploy 2020 and VCAP-NV Design 2020?

Deploy exams are live lab environments where you have to setup certain features and functions and troubleshoot problems. Design exams are based on the theoretical best practice solution for a given scenario.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As far as I know NSX-V will be discontinued in 2022, or do you know if the updated version of the VCAP-NV Deploy 2020 certification is already available and where can I find the exam with the NSX-T 2.4 version?

All exams which are available are listed on the pages for each specific certification - links below. I would expect any future NSX exams to be on NSX-T (3.0 or later), including the next released exam for VCAP-NV Deploy.

I would also like to take the time to ask if there would be a conflict if I go for the VCAP-NV Design 2020 certification in case there is no exam updated to NSX-T 2.4.

What do you mean by “conflict”?

VMware Certified Advanced Professional — Network Virtualization Deployment 2020

VMware Certified Advanced Professional — Network Virtualization Design 2020

OsvaldoRamirez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your answer nachogonzalez

I think that the deploy exam is more difficult than the design one, however, according to my skills I think I will understand better with the deploy exam

I will have to make a lot of effort to NSX-V to pass the exam

Note: with regard to where I can find the design exam updated to Deploy NSX-T, I mean if somewhere in VMware Education I could find this version of the exam.

VMware Certified Advanced Professional — Network Virtualization Deployment 2020

VMware Certified Advanced Professional — Network Virtualization Design 2020

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is odd that at the moment the Design exams are for NSX-T (2.4 or 3.0) but the Deployment exam is for NSX-V (6.2)

As I mentioned above I think you can expect any future NV exams (for VCAP or any other level of certification) to be on NSX-T only, that will probably be the case from the next Deployment exam.

0 Kudos
OsvaldoRamirez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much scott28tt for your reply.

Regarding my doubt if there would be a conflict, I mean if VMWare validates the VCAP-NV Design certification if I do not take the recommended course VMware NSX-T Data Center: Design [V2.4] and instead take the course "VMware NSX -T Data Center: Troubleshooting and Operations [V2.4], which is the recommended course for the certification of VCAP-NV Deploy

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

And as I mentioned in my first reply above, there is no hard training requirement for any VCAP certification - so long as you have the required VCP you can entirely self-study to prepare yourself if you wish.

ggovek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would like to take the VCAP-NV Deploy certification exam. Can anyone tell me what the exam covers and how to prepare for the exam?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Requirements and exam information here, found via “VCAP-NV Deploy” search on Google: https://www.vmware.com/education-services/certification/vcap-nv-deploy.html

0 Kudos
ggovek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The content of the exam is still NSX-V??? When is the content expected to be from the NSX-T?

Otherwise, I wanted to get exam information from personal experience!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It would appear so:

Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 10.44.04.png

VMware don't give dates information for future exam releases.

0 Kudos
KarlChilds
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

However, officially...it's close!!! 

ggovek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nice 👍

0 Kudos
ggovek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any info about NSX-T Deploy LAB?

0 Kudos
KarlChilds
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

All that is left is to finish the scoring script. Unfortunately, resources to finish the scripting changed, so it caused a delay, but I'm hoping it'll be resolved very soon and we'll be able to release it within 30-60 days.

ggovek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Today I did VCAP-NV Design exam 🙂 so now I'm still waiting to deploy NSX-T.

0 Kudos