VMware Communities
RobJanssen86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vMotion issue

I tried to vMotion an VM to an other ESX server. It is stuck at 82% and it keeps there now for like 12 hours.

The VM is just responding and is manageable (not via console). 

The VM is not manageable via the vSphere client, I cannot shut down the machine, it's all greyed out. Is there any possibilty to let this vMotion succeed or else let it cancel?

ESXi 4.1

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you need to restart the management agent: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003490

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

12 hours is a very long time for a vMotion - were you only moving Hosts, or Storage too?

Odds are though - after 12 hours, it is probably hung.

You could try 'cancel' the process, but if that fails, you'll need to release the process at the console and restart.

You probably want to track the underlying cause of the failure though - so make sure to catch logs accordingly.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
RobJanssen86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was just an vMotion, not an Storage vMotion. I didn't had to assign an 'new datastore'.

How can I cancel the process, if I right-click the task "Cancel" is greyed out. Is there any possible way to cancel it another way?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can try restart your vcenter service and try login into the vsphere client again ..

RobJanssen86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

An addition, I dragged an dropped the VM to another ESX server.

I didn't choose 'migrate' .. Can this action cause problems?

0 Kudos
RobJanssen86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I restarted the vCenter services.

The Migrate action is now canceled, if I try to migrate the VM again I am getting the following warning :

"No Guest OS heartbeats are being received. Either the guest OS is not responding or VMware Tools is not configured correctly."

I am connected via RDP to the VM so it ain't down.

So I am troubleshooting again at another issue Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

is the vmware tools running? if not start the service. anyway you can ignore the message and proceed to vmotion ..

0 Kudos
RobJanssen86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, the VMware tools were running, no disk or ISO was mounted an no snapshot was active.

The VM is still un managable. I am getting the following errors on each action I am trying to take on that particular VM :

Cannot communicate with the remote host,either due to network errors or because the host is not responding

The Inventory states that the VM is powered on while it's off. Now I can't power it on Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you need to restart the management agent: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003490

0 Kudos
RobJanssen86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I restarted the Management network & the management agents on the ESXi server where the VM is running on.

The problem is still there..

Message was edited by: RobJanssen86

0 Kudos
RobJanssen86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It seems that my vMotion problem is solved !

Restarting the management agent and restarting the management network solved it.

Next thing is that other VM's have an "Invalid" state.

0 Kudos