VMware Modern Apps Community
Pelle5
Contributor
Contributor

NSX-ALB VS VIP don't match Service Engines IP

Hi,

Trying to setup a Lab of vSphere with Tanzu using NSX ALB as load balancer.

I've installed latest version of vCenter, ESXi and NSX-ALB with Essentials License (version 22.1.2 2p4)

I setup it with 3 Networks :
- Frontend : 192.168.30.0/24
- Workload : 192.168.31.0/24
- Management : 192.168.32.0/24

The Supervisor Cluster is deployed and all nodes received IPs from the Management and Workload Networks as configured.

In NSX ALB (AVI) I can see 2 VS with 2 differents IP relying to the supervisor cluster's nodes. The VS are UP and everything is green :

- VS1 (Api) have ip 192.168.30.3
- VS2 (CSI) have ip 192.168.30.2

The Supervisor Cluster Control Plane IP is matching the VS1 IP (192.168.30.3)

2 Service Engine VMs are deployed with 2 connected network cards :

- SE1 Mangement Network IP : 192.168.32.10, Frontend Network IP : 192.168.30.4
- SE2 Mangagment Network IP : 192.168.32.11, Frontend Network IP: 192.168.30.5

Of course, when trying to access the Supervisor Control Plane on 192.168.30.3, that's don't work.

I delete and recreate the cluster a couple of times and the results are always the same.

Maybe it's something that I don't understand or a kind of bug or any configuration error but I don't know why and how the Service Engines VMs are created with different IP than the VS VIPs.

Any help would be appreciate.

Regards.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmattroman
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

SE VMs should have 1x Network Adapter from MGMT Network, 1x Network Adapter from Frontend Network and rest of the NICs (8x) are in 'Avi Internal' Network - this is a normal. It's normal too, that API, CSI and SEs had a different IPs from Frontend Network. 

Did you setup Static Routing in AVI? Geteway subnet: Workload Network, Next Hop: Frontend GW.
Can you ping/telnet to the API IP from your computer/station/jumphost? 

You can check my blog post: https://vmattroman.com/vsphere-with-tanzu-vds-nsx-advanced-load-balancer-avi/
Maybe you missed something.

Regards,

Mateusz

0 Kudos
Pelle5
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mateusz,

Thanks for your reply.

I've switch to a HAProxy deployment because I needed to have the Tanzu solutions working to permit dev to give a try.

I'll look to your blog and steps for a further deployment using NSX ALB.

Regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
vmattroman
Contributor
Contributor

Sure, no problem and good luck!
If you have some questions, feel free to ask;) On my blog, you can find tutorial how to deploy vSphere with Tanzu + HAProxy too.

Regards,
Mateusz

0 Kudos
Juan-Herrera
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Pele5,

If you need to configure vSphere with Tanzu with vSphere 7 as per matrix compatibility you should use 21.1.4 (22.1.2 it's not supported). If you use vSphere 8 you are OK with NSX ALB 22.1.2.

I think that you forget to configure Static Route. The problem here is that frontend network doesn't know how to route to your workload. Please check this link https://core.vmware.com/resource/vsphere-tanzu-and-nsx-advanced-load-balancer-quick-start-guide-v703...

Regards Juan. 

0 Kudos