VMware Communities
AnBerAt
Contributor
Contributor

microsoft windows- update (KB5019959) fails on VM

Since last week microsoft windows-update (KB5019959) fails on all of these clients throwing a blue screen with the stop code: UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR after restart.. Then the system de-installs the update, only to play the game again next day. Previous MS-Windows-updates went on without any problem.

On the host-machine and other real hardware-devices  this update went on without any problem.
The last successful update was KB5020801.

While this update fails on all virtual machines, but not on real ones, I gues a problem with the virtual processor ??
How can I deal wit this issue? Will there be any patch available?

Reducing the number of processors to 1 may not be the ultimate solution. Deactivating Hype-V does not work always.

best regards
Andreas Berger

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GeoPerkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Does this relate to Workstation Pro, Workstation Player, or some other VMware product?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
dennixnl
Contributor
Contributor

I’m experiencing the same problem on WMware workstation 16. Other forum posts tell to use only one cpu. That will allow to install the update and the system will work again. But you can’t go back using more cpu’s or cores. That will get your system stuck on the BSOD again. Hopefully VMware wille deliver a new update to fix this issue. I also heard that VMware workstation 17 does not have this issue at all. I just bought 16 and I’m not intended to pay another 99 dollars only to fix this issue.

0 Kudos
willw
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing this issue too, on three Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise virtual machines. 

In my case, the machines boot twice to the BSOD that you show, and on the third iteration go into the repair cycle that removes the Windows update. Then the machine boots. Particularly annoying is the notice at the end where it promises it won't try to reinstall for a month.

If a fix is discovered I should love to hear of it! This is with Workstation Pro 16.2.4 build-20089737

0 Kudos
willw
Contributor
Contributor

There's a much bigger thread on this issue here https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Windows-10-KB5019959-crashes-into-BSOD/td-p... which includes various workarounds, of mixed quality.

0 Kudos
abudgx
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem with Workstation 16. VM would not boot because it could not find windows after I installed update from Microsoft update. The disk was acessible in recovery but no windows installation was found.

When I updated to workstation 17 it asked me to install WHP (add remove feature on the host). After that Workstation 17 installed properly. When I started the VM again, it started updating something regarding virtualisation before it sucessfully started.

Maybe you need to install WHP on your host to fix the problem event if you do not upgrade to 17?

I'd be curious to see if it helps with the problem.

0 Kudos