VMware Cloud Community
aswani521
Contributor
Contributor

VMotion migration failure

I have not tested vmotion rigourously, but I would like to know under what circumstances does migration fail.

I can think of a scenario in which the available memory on the destination esx host is less than the sum of memory overhead caused by the VM and memory overhead caused by vmotion.

Under what other conditions does a migration fail ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

There are some items to look at when VMotion failed:

1. Make sure no devices currently mounted.

2. If VMotion with snapshot, you will receive error warnings but you will be able to VMotion just fine but might having hard time revert it back or commit.

3. Different types of CPU model (which can be done by using Enhance VMotion Compatability) or hide the CPU NX flags.

4. You didn't enable VMotion option on the port group.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Likewise you need some excess CPU capacity on the destinatioin host, good network communication between the vmotion ports just to to add couple. The beautiful thing about vmotion is it checks for many things prior to starting and will fail if these conditions are there - and if failure occurs during the vmotion event before the vm moves it will stay on the originating esx server-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful