Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Virtual Machine Hangs

Hi,

I installed VMware ESXi 3.5 on my machine, my machine configurations are

============= CPUs =============

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 3050 @ 2.13GHz

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 3050 @ 2.13GHz

============= MEM =============

2016 MiB

I installed ubuntu 8.04 64-bit (downloaded from the ubuntu website) as virtual machine, the configurations for virtual machine are

20GB Virtual Disk file

Number of virtual Processers 2

Memory allocated 1024 MB

Number of NICs do you want to connect 1

Installation was very slow compare to dedicated hardware but eventually finished fine, after installation the problem arises when I bootup the system , machine hangs after 5-10 mins of loading the x-windows environment, during this "hang period" CPU usage of the virtual machine and VMWare server is either Minimum or Maximum, but after couple of rebooting I was able to install vmware tools and ubnutu updates, and eventually, machine is not hanging anymore, but it is going worse for second ubuntu 8.04 64-bit virtual machine, machine is keep hanging after 5-10 mins of bootup into X-windows, I am not able to install either vmware-tools or ubuntu updates.

So I was wondering is it 64-bit version of ubuntu which is not stable on VMware server or did I did something wrong in installation?

Please help!

Hrishikesh

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community Forums. Your post has been moved to the Performance forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Hrishikesh,

Are you using Ubuntu Server? The server version has a kernel that runs better in a virtual machine.

Do your virtual machine really need 2 virtual cpus? Have you tried using only 1? Your host seems to have only 2 cpu cores, so you should avoid using guest VMs with more than 1 vcpu.

The GUI performance in ESX is not all that perfect and is much better in the hosted desktop products VMware Workstation and VMware Player (but not VMware Server).

If possible, you should use alternate methods to administer your VM, like ssh, x11, rdp or similar.

For best performance you should add the following kernel parameters in your VM: nosmp noapic nolapic nohz=off

Lars

0 Kudos
hrishi_kul
Contributor
Contributor

"Do your virtual machine really need 2 virtual cpus? Have you tried using only 1? Your host seems to have only 2 cpu cores, so you should avoid using guest VMs with more than 1 vcpu. "

I think this was the problem, I tried using it with 1 virtual CPU, it works fine! I think my hardware not sufficient for allowing 2 virtual CPUs.

Thank you very much Lars.

Regards,

Hrishikesh

0 Kudos