VMware Cloud Community
nootrak4
Contributor
Contributor

USB and ESXi

I don't see anywhere I can configure USB or Serial ports. Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I need to connect USB drive to backup the servers and other things. I'm still testing this and want to implement it in my company, but need to make sure everything is working before I move to ESX. I have been reading a book and I don't see anything that talks about USB/serial port. The PE2900 III has a total of 6 USB ports and I plan on running 4 VM on this system, just want to statically assign a USB to each VM. We have 4 servers and we are going to upgrade and we started to look into the VM so save us on Cooling/ Electric Bill so I need to make sure everything is going to work the same old way. It doest make any since to me not to include this. I tried Fusion on the MAC computer and it lets you do it with no problem. If you have any other alternative please share it with me. Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

USB is not available to VMs running on ESX(i).

If you need USB either use VMware Server or utilize USB-over-IP devices.

0 Kudos
nootrak4
Contributor
Contributor

Why would they do that is it really that hard to do?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

ESX is a bit behind regarding virtual hardware.

New virtual hardware usually is available in WS or Fusion first, then leaks to Server and, if we are lucky, finally arrives in ESX.

0 Kudos
nootrak4
Contributor
Contributor

I guess at this point i will have to wait until they provide this as this is very important and i wouldnt want to spend any more money then what the software cost. as we are a small company and dont have the deep pockets as other bigger companies. I would like to know when are they thinking of putting this on there ESX. This is something they should jump on ASAP. I mean I will have to speak to my boss about this and see where financial we stand. I google and found a Device call anywhere USB have you had any experiance with this.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

I would like to know when are they thinking of putting this on there ESX.

Only a few guys from VMware no and they won't tell you since they aren't allowed to do so.

BTW: USB-over-IP devices aren't that expensive.

I google and found a Device call anywhere USB have you had any experiance with this.

I don't have experience with it, but many guys here in this forum recommend it.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

if you are using USB disks as a back up device, you could invest in a USB to IP device. this will present your devices as a network device. as Oliver has stated ESX is behind in relation to Virtual hardware, however there is a good reason that USB has not been added and this is because it would preclude any VM that has a usb device attached form being able to Vmotion or utilise DRS

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

I would like to know when are they thinking of putting this on there ESX.

I suspect this is a very low-priority matter for VMware. Support for USB, serial, parallel, etc. comes with the high price of eliminating the possibility of migrating the virtual machine to another host. If you are looking for a single-host solution, you are better off with VMware Server (which does support USB). ESX(i) is intended to be a datacenter platform and not really an SMB solution (although it is moving both up and down the food chain)...

If you want to encourage VMware to include USB support, file a formal support request. That's the only way they're going to know that you (and other customers) consider it a high priority need.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers[/url]

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos