VMware Support Community
wmdspa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SHD cannot support latest build ESXi 6.5U3 17477841?

Hi,

After we've patched our servers to ESXi 6.5U3 build 17477841, we can no longer analyse our  HPE DL380 G9 and G8 servers, all result are "Not Supported", which was ok in the last ESXi 6.5U3 build. Does anyone know how to solve it? Thanks!

Edward

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ksram
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We have identified an issue with VCG update process. Some of the data download is not receiving expected data. Hence the supported releases segment of data in not available post VCG Update. 

So if one has recently updated VCG Database on SHD, hardware on any ESXi version will appear as Not Supported. We are working on fixing this in next patch release.

Thanks

-Ram 

View solution in original post

20 Replies
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We need to reproduce this issue in house before we can say any thing, mean while, would you please share logs if you see any error/exceptions ?

Log location is /opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/log folder.

0 Kudos
wmdspa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does these reports help?

0 Kudos
wmdspa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

seems there is not much command in the Photon OS, I just get the support log bundle from the Web UI, please see attached. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ksram
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

SHD uses vmware -vl command output (File: commands/vmware_-vl.txt in the log bundle) to validate the build and update levels of ESXi. Can you please check what this command output is?

-Thanks

Ram

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wmdspa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI,

Sorry, may be I cannot get what you mean.

I've tried to open the SHD guest VM Remote Console, login the Photon Linux using root. But there's no such command.

Thanks!

Edward

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can extract ESXi support log bundle and can open File: commands/vmware_-vl.txt and share output.

0 Kudos
wmdspa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The commands/vmware_-vl.txt content is below,

VMware ESXi 6.5.0 build-17477841
VMware ESXi 6.5.0 Update 3

Thanks!

Edward

0 Kudos
ksram
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update. I am testing this in my lab. I will update the results soon.

Thanks

-Ram

0 Kudos
ksram
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We have identified an issue with VCG update process. Some of the data download is not receiving expected data. Hence the supported releases segment of data in not available post VCG Update. 

So if one has recently updated VCG Database on SHD, hardware on any ESXi version will appear as Not Supported. We are working on fixing this in next patch release.

Thanks

-Ram 

wmdspa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! We will wait for the next update.

RobRos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have the same problem with VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 18071574

there's news about that?

thank you

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Which SHD version you are using, this issue is fixed in SHD 2.5.1.

Also SHD release 2.5.2 is available, for download. Let us know if using 2.5.2 you are facing this issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobRos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i installed version 2.5.2 and i keep getting the same error.

thank you

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Could you please share esxi support bundle as we tried reproducing this issue internally and found analysis is working fine.

0 Kudos
RobRos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi, here is the esxi support bundle of one of the hosts. thank you 

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is working fine with SHD 2.5.2, build and we were able to see report.

I would suggest to run again and share shd-support bundle, we will look into the logs.

0 Kudos
raycward
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have the same issue with two SHD deployments

one running 2.5.1 and the other now 2.5.2 and both have the same issue

how do I share the shd-support bundle with you?

0 Kudos
RobRos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

here is shd-log

i manually uploaded the file and it work for me too.

while if i try the automatic procedure the result is the same

tank you

0 Kudos
ksram
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @RobRos @raycward 

I suspect a log overwrite issue here. SHD expects each host bundle to have a unique name (like esx-hostname-*,tgz). But in the task logs I see all the bundle names for all hosts log bundles are vm-support.tgz. Since these are downloaded to same folder, data will be mixed up ending in a possible corruption. 

I tested the uploaded log bundle and SHD was able to perform the diagnostics run on that. So there shouldn't be detection or log format changes that could trouble SHD. 

To validate if it only cause here, we can test with a single host workflow run. In such case we will should see diagnostics running correctly for that host.

I have fixed this in our dev branches and will be released with next patch release. For now I don't see an easier implementable workaround for current installations apart from running one host at a time (which is not a good option for large environments)

-Thanks

Ram

Tags (1)