VMware Cloud Community
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

SRM installing failing

Hi ,

I'm having issue getting SRM 4.1 installed. I've been through the admin guide several times and i'm sure i've created my DB properly. Here are the details

DB Name: VCSRM,

DB User VCSRM (DBO)

DB Login VCSRM

Default Schema VCSRM

the install fails on the part when installing certificates. I've seen this KB and made sure the vCenter user I specify has administrator privilages to vCenter.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101588...

what i'm seeing is the installshield tell me its "creating database tables", then "installing certificates" then it says rolling back action, there are no errrors. Where can I see the install log files?

I don't see the DB tables get created but if i log onto SQL Mgmt sudio with my specified DB user i'm able to create tables, so i'm sure my SQL permissions are correct.

My SRM server and vCenter server are on the same box, so I'm using Windows Authentication.

SRM server is windows 2008 R2 with SQL 2008 standard.

anyone seen this?

thanks

0 Kudos
20 Replies
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

just to add i'm using a 32bit ODBC connection..

0 Kudos
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Previous versions required that the database user account have dbo on the master database for the duration of the install, I have not confirmed that this is still the case though I suspect it is. Could this be your issue?

You might have an easier time testing if you just drop all tables in the database prior to retrying the installation...

Tim Oudin

Tim Oudin
0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Do you use custom certificates for your vCenter servers? If so, you must create custom certificates for SRM servers too.

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Are you sure that your DSN is 32-bit? Have you created it by running odbcad32.exe from c: windows syswow64 folder?

0 Kudos
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

no we just use the standard certs.

tried installing when my SQL login as sysadmin, still failes on the certificate install. I don't think this is a DB issue.

0 Kudos
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

no we just use the standard certs.

tried installing when my SQL login as sysadmin, still failes on the certificate install. I don't think this is a DB issue.

0 Kudos
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

yes ODBC is definatley 32bit

0 Kudos
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

can anybody point me in the right direction of creating some install logs?

0 Kudos
sysxperts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Start > All Programs > VMware > VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager > Generate vCenter Site Recovery Manager Log Bundle not working?

Paul Valentino - VCP, EMCCA - @sysxperts @vcommunitytrust - Help the vCommunity one certification at a time! http://www.vcommunitytrust.org/ http://igg.me/p/212476?a=1091980
0 Kudos
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

the install doesn't finish so SRM is not installed in any form that i can see. The install just rolls back with no error.

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

If I remember correctly the install automatically creates the log file in c:windows temp directory or user temp directory.

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Did you try to perform the installation under credentials of VCSRM user?

0 Kudos
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102180...

KB article seems to be suggesting install logs will be in "Local Setting\Temp\1" directory.

Tim Oudin

Tim Oudin
0 Kudos
sysxperts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\1

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102180...

Paul Valentino - VCP, EMCCA - @sysxperts @vcommunitytrust - Help the vCommunity one certification at a time! http://www.vcommunitytrust.org/ http://igg.me/p/212476?a=1091980
0 Kudos
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

Ok first off thanks guys.

Now, I've looked in c:\windows\temp - can't seen any logs

I have seen the KB pointing to the location of log files but i'm using 2008R2 - "c:\documents and settings" doesn't exist. I've looked everywhere else i could think they would put them in 2008 R2 but no joy.

I've found another KB that says you can output installer logs by running "VMware-srm-4.1.0-267817.exe /V /lve c:\SRM_install.txt, but i just get aking of help prompt.

I've tried installing as VCSRM user, alos with my domain admin account and with local administrator, all with same end result.

any more ideas?

0 Kudos
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try searching for the name of the log file - I believe it should be called 'VMSrmInst.log'

Also, i think the additional install logging may need the following: VMware-srm-4.1.0-267817.exe /v /l*v c:\SRM_install.txt

Cormac

http://cormachogan.com
0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

c:\documents and settings in 2008 moved to c:\users

0 Kudos
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

ok found the logs and the .mis that is left behind when install fails. output the logs and got the error it is a certificate error here's the pertinant lines. the user its using to try to connect to vcenter has admin permissions at the vCenter level and is local admin on the vcenter serverpermissions

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::ReadFromPipe: INFORMATION: Command output:

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::LaunchApplication: INFORMATION: Executable finished executing. Result code=0

VMware: Srm::Installation::VMSetUpDbTables: INFORMATION: Database tables created successfully.

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: ActionStart(Name=VMRollbackInstallCertificate,,)

Action 22:55:33: VMRollbackInstallCertificate.

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=VMRollbackInstallCertificate,ActionType=1345,Source=BinaryData,Target=VMRemoveCertificate,CustomActionData=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\)

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: ActionStart(Name=VMRollbackConfiguration,,)

Action 22:55:33: VMRollbackConfiguration.

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=VMRollbackConfiguration,ActionType=9537,Source=BinaryData,Target=*********,CustomActionData=*********)

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: ActionStart(Name=VMInstallCertificate,Description=Installing certificate,)

Action 22:55:33: VMInstallCertificate. Installing certificate

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=VMInstallCertificate,ActionType=9217,Source=BinaryData,Target=*********,CustomActionData=*********)

MSI (s) (C8:28) : Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIED0C.tmp, Entrypoint: VMInstallCertificate

VMware: Srm::Installation::DirectoryChanger::DirectoryChanger: INFORMATION: Changed directory. Directory=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin\

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::LaunchApplication: INFORMATION: Launching executable. Command line="C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin\certGenUtil.exe" -cfg "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\config\certGenUtil.xml"

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::ReadFromPipe: INFORMATION: Command output: VMware internal use only. This program is intended for use only by the SRM installer.

Current working directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin

HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 1 numThreadsPerCore 1.

HOSTINFO: This machine has 1 physical CPUS, 1 total cores, and 1 logical CPUs.

Certificate Password not in Credential Store.

Will wait for password to be typed in.

Enter certificate password:

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::ReadFromPipe: INFORMATION: Command output: Loading 'screen' into random state - done

Generating RSA private key, 512 bit long modulus

.++++++++++++

..++++++++++++

e is 65537 (0x10001)

Loading 'screen' into random state - done

Generating RSA private key, 512 bit long modulus

.................++++++++++++

........++++++++++++

e is 65537 (0x10001)

Signature ok

subject=/O=LBoC/OU=CDC/CN=VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager default certificate

Getting CA Private Key

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::LaunchApplication: INFORMATION: Executable finished executing. Result code=0

VMware: Srm::Installation::DirectoryChanger::~DirectoryChanger: INFORMATION: Restored directory. Directory=C:\Windows\SysWOW64

VMware: Srm::Installation::DirectoryChanger::DirectoryChanger: INFORMATION: Changed directory. Directory=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin\

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::LaunchApplication: INFORMATION: Launching executable. Command line="C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin\srm-config.exe" -cmd installservercert -crt "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin\10.128.0.7.p12"

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::ReadFromPipe: INFORMATION: Command output: Current working directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin

Enter password for certificate file C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin\10.128.0.7.p12: Command executed successfully.

VMware: Srm::Installation::DirectoryChanger::~DirectoryChanger: INFORMATION: Restored directory. Directory=C:\Windows\SysWOW64

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::LaunchApplication: INFORMATION: Launching executable. Command line="C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin\srm-config.exe" -cmd confuserbased -u "camden\adminph1" -cfg "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\config\vmware-dr.xml" -extcfg "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\config\extension.xml" -vc "svr-vce-thc01.lbcamden.net:80" -sitename "s22" -thumbprint 5

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::ReadFromPipe: INFORMATION: Command output: Current working directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin

Error : Invalid thumbprint format.

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::LaunchApplication: INFORMATION: Executable finished executing. Result code=39

VMware: Srm::Installation::Certificate::InstallCertificate: ERROR: LaunchApplication() failed. Executable=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin\srm-config.exe, Parameters=-cmd confuserbased -u "camden\adminph1" -cfg "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\config\vmware-dr.xml" -extcfg "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\config\extension.xml" -vc "svr-vce-thc01.lbcamden.net:80" -sitename "s22" -thumbprint 5, Code=39

VMware: Srm::Installation::VMInstallCertificate: ERROR: Failed to install certificate.

CustomAction VMInstallCertificate returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Action ended 22:55:37: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: Header(Signature=1397708873,Version=500,Timestamp=1025029857,LangId=1033,Platform=0,ScriptType=2,ScriptMajorVersion=21,ScriptMinorVersion=4,ScriptAttributes=1)

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=0,Argument=1033)

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=1,Argument=VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager)

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: RollbackInfo(,RollbackAction=Rollback,RollbackDescription=Rolling back action:,RollbackTemplate=[1],CleanupAction=RollbackCleanup,CleanupDescription=Removing backup files,CleanupTemplate=File: )

Action 22:55:37: Rollback. Rolling back action:

Rollback: Installing certificate

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: ActionStart(Name=VMInstallCertificate,Description=Installing certificate,)

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: ProductInfo(ProductKey={35A202EA-1549-4592-97A5-65F5E4CCDEC9},ProductName=VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager,PackageName=VMware Site Recovery Manager.msi,Language=1033,Version=67174400,Assignment=1,ObsoleteArg=0,ProductIcon=ARPPRODUCTICON.exe,,PackageCode={0B57FFED-1D00-4201-BA56-3AE102F4AF9B},,,InstanceType=0,LUASetting=0,RemoteURTInstalls=0,ProductDeploymentFlags=3)

Rollback: VMRollbackConfiguration

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: ActionStart(Name=VMRollbackConfiguration,,)

MSI (s) (C8:4C) : Executing op: CustomActionRollback(Action=VMRollbackConfiguration,ActionType=9537,Source=BinaryData,Target=*********,CustomActionData=*********)

MSI (s) (C8:58) : Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIF9ED.tmp, Entrypoint: VMRemoveConfiguration

VMware: Srm::Installation::Certificate::ParseCustomActionData: ERROR: Unable to parse certificate status: GetNextToken() failed

VMware: Srm::Installation::VMRemoveConfiguration: ERROR: Failed to parse custom action data.

CustomAction VMRollbackConfiguration returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking

0 Kudos
sysxperts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This probably doesn't help much but the certificate thumbprint is usually associated with the public key which in essence is the hash used to ensure validity of the cert. Based on your log it is unable to validate the thumbprint. I would suggest opening an SR and having developers look at the snippet below which has the most relevant info:

Error 39: Invalid thumbprint format.

VMware: Srm::Installation::Utility::LaunchApplication: INFORMATION: Executable finished executing. Result code=39

VMware: Srm::Installation::Certificate::InstallCertificate: ERROR: LaunchApplication() failed. Executable=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin\srm-config.exe, Parameters=-cmd confuserbased -u "camden\adminph1" -cfg "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\config\vmware-dr.xml" -extcfg "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\config\extension.xml" -vc "svr-vce-thc01.lbcamden.net:80" -sitename "s22" -thumbprint 5, Code=39

0 Kudos