VMware Cloud Community
olczak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM 4.1.1 / SRA DS8000 : Unable to display datastore groups

Hi,

I just installed SRM 4.1.1 to protect 1 vSphere 4.1 site . During this test phase, only 1 DS8000 LUN is replicated, hosting only 1 VM.

Configuration on the Protected site went without any issue, all green with the replicated datastores correctly detected.

On the Recovery site, configuration manager is fine (green mark for the replicated array) but the replicated datastores are not detected: a warning is raised:

Unable to display datastore groups. Replicated devices can not be matched with datastores in the inventory.

This wanring does not prevent the failover test to be successful and the protected VM to be restarted on the Recovery site.

I found some posts with the same error but using other storage system....and no answers seems to work here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mbt
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar situation. Just installed SRM 4.1 on HP P4000 iSCSI (lefthand) storage.

Both protection and recovery sites are green, and I have protection groups and inventory mappings and a recovery plan. When I was talking to VMware support tech (about a different issue) he indicated that I do not need to "configure the SRA" on the recovery site side. So, that was going to be my next step - but I skipped it on his suggestion.

Today, I ran my first test recovery - all of the priority groups had failures (Error: Failed to recover datastore:) on a number of VMs yet - about half of the 22 VMs were actually recovered.

In looking for a solution, I found the advanced option to scan device twice (configure SRM to rescan the HBA twice by adding the line<hostRescanRepeatCnt>2</hostRescanRepeatCnt> between <SanProvider> and </SanProvider>.).

I also figured - what the hell, it seems to me like the recovery site SRA should be configured. I did that - and at the end of the configure, despite successfully connecting to both protected and recovery site storage arrays - I ge the same mesage as you.

You said it does not affect test from succeeding -- hmmm -- so I am running the test again. Perhaps the rescan twice option will have fixed my issue, and the issue we both have is cosmetic?

0 Kudos
grewemi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

did you checked the vmware-dr-X.log file, it will probaly contain a discoverLUNs failure.

How are you connected to the storage, via SVC. If via SVC ensure that the hostnames registered on the SVC cluster for your ESX servers contain the string ‘vmware’.

0 Kudos
olczak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Yes I checked the log and I found really nothing.......comparing the 2 logs (the log in the Protected site where it is fine and the log in the recovery site), the difference is I do not have in the recovery site:

[2011-04-08 13:37:58.386 03132 verbose 'SanConfigManager'] Found 1  replicated datastores
[2011-04-08 13:37:58.386 03132 trivia  'SanConfigManager'] 'vim.Datastore:datastore-21'
[2011-04-08 13:37:58.386  03132 verbose 'SanConfigManager'] Found 0 partially replicated  datastores
[2011-04-08 13:37:58.386 03132 verbose 'SanConfigManager'] Found 0  replicated RDM devices
[2011-04-08 13:37:58.386 03132 verbose  'SanConfigManager'] Processing datastore 'datastore-21'
[2011-04-08  13:37:58.386 03132 verbose 'SanConfigManager'] Processing virtual machine  'vm-22'
We are not using SVC but the DS8000 directly.
0 Kudos
aqwelea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all

Just to know if you found an explanation.

I am currently facing to the same warning (unlike you, i am not able to complete the TEST and RUN successfully).

I read some post and documents but i did'nt retrieve extacly the same issue.

This warning "unable to display datastore groups...." appears only on the recovery site and doesn't really surprise me since the datastore are not mounted on the recovery site. However, i thought that the SRA (SRADS8000 in my case) was able to browse the LUN and see it hosts a vmx file (and the same than on the protected lun). It is not 😞

So, if you reached to get some information, please let me know

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos