VMware Cloud Community
Elmraash
Contributor
Contributor

RecoverPoint Appliance with SRM

VM has two VMDK on the different array. if we protect this VM by Dell EMC RecoverPoint Appliance may SRM recover plan working normally or not.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Elmraash ,

When configuring array pairs in SRM, you provide details about primary and secondary array in a 1:1 configuration, so having a VM disk on different storage arrays might not work. Protecting VMs part of 2 datastores from the same array is something commonly noticed, however 2 different arrays is something that might not work.

0 Kudos
Elmraash
Contributor
Contributor

@ashilkrishnan 

thanks for reply.

what if we are using Dell RecoverPoint solution. I see VMware Employee mentioned to that solution may handle this job. see the below please

@ vbrowncoat -VMware Employee

- Lets assume my both the arrays are consistently replicating the data then what could be the issue? - This isn't possible without a replication solution that supports this (recoverpoint may be such a solution, as it handles replication rather than the array). If you have 2 arrays that support cross array consistency groups and can be managed with a single SRA this would work, otherwise not. You're talking about 2 different arrays working together to replicate multiple LUNs and maintain write order consistency between them. I don't see how this would be possible without something sitting in front of both arrays providing this capability, and even then I'm not positive it's possible.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Elmraash ,

I agree with what vbrowncoat has mentioned. I believe you had gone through this discussion --> VMs which have disks on two different arrays 

It will all depend on recover point if it can configure cross array consistency groups. It's not  a common scenario and it's not clear if this can be achieved. I would suggest you to test this out with single VM and try protecting it in SRM.

0 Kudos
Elmraash
Contributor
Contributor

thank you will keep you updating if we test it

0 Kudos