VMware Cloud Community
Kevin_Graham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configure VR replication after losing a VC

Hi,

We've recently had to rebuild our VC server which was also a SRM server.

I thought I had got it all done but when I try to configure one of the servers for replication I get the following error

Configure a virtual machine for replication

xxx-FP01

Attempt to configure vSphere Replication for already replicated VM 'xxx-FP01' while creating group 'xxx-FP01'. There is another virtual machine 'xxx-FP01' that has the same instance UUID '5022631c--21e7-1970--04cd-aeda-9d7f0813' as the one that you try to configure.

The existing vSphere Replication is configured for protection site 'xxx-vc02.-mydomain.ie', please refer to the documentation for troubleshooting options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Kevin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

It looks like you have re-installed one of the VRMS appliances (or reset an external VRMS database), but the remote site still have information on the old configured replication and old pairing,

The old replication info at the remote VRMS is preventing configuring the new replication.

Possible workarounds are:

A)

1. Re-install VRMS at the remote site (or reset its database).

2. Re-do the pairing and re-register any additional VR server appliances. This will cleanup any leftover VR server files at the target datastores.

3. Remove any stale hbr* files at the target datastores - these can be leftover if this is VR 5.1 and there were replications using the embedded VR server.

3. Configure all replications from scratch, possibly re-using the placeholder vmdks as initial copies.

B) Destroy all stale replications and the stale pairing through VRMS MOB at the remote site.

The commands are a bit different in 5.0.x and 5.1.x. It would be easiest, if you file an SR and someone from the support team can send you exact instructions or assist with the destroy.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

It looks like you have re-installed one of the VRMS appliances (or reset an external VRMS database), but the remote site still have information on the old configured replication and old pairing,

The old replication info at the remote VRMS is preventing configuring the new replication.

Possible workarounds are:

A)

1. Re-install VRMS at the remote site (or reset its database).

2. Re-do the pairing and re-register any additional VR server appliances. This will cleanup any leftover VR server files at the target datastores.

3. Remove any stale hbr* files at the target datastores - these can be leftover if this is VR 5.1 and there were replications using the embedded VR server.

3. Configure all replications from scratch, possibly re-using the placeholder vmdks as initial copies.

B) Destroy all stale replications and the stale pairing through VRMS MOB at the remote site.

The commands are a bit different in 5.0.x and 5.1.x. It would be easiest, if you file an SR and someone from the support team can send you exact instructions or assist with the destroy.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
Kevin_Graham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Resetting the VRMS databases did the trick,

Many thanks

Kevin

raldridge254
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Resetting the VMRS DB worked for me too.

For a clean start I removed the other replications, then reset the database.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos