VMware Modern Apps Community
usmabison
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

cannot get updates for photon 5 - same cfg for photon 4 works?

Greetings all! 

I am trying to leverage latest Photon OS and can't even seem to get past Go <sad face> ... I was able to get Photon 4 working fine (to grab updates, and be able run tdnf update ... ph5 won't budge ... looked on the photon wiki to no avail .. figured I'd try here ... 

usmabison_0-1676464760144.png

Any others have similar experience, or know how to remedy? BTW, I used both the preconfigured OVA and a build-from-scratch VM using ISO ... both throw similar errors ...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I didn’t have had that issue neither with latest build make of Ph4 nor with the Ph5 beta bits. 

Afaik, upgrade ph4 to ph5 isn’t included yet because it’s still beta.

‘Retries’ during tdnf typically occur with ip issues. If running as dhcp, as alternative to analyze the issue, assign a static ipv4 and dns and restart e.g. systemd-networkd and systemd-resolved. If it runs on vpn, try to avoid it and double check the behavior without vpn, ip settings and with vpn.

As next possibility, use tdnf —releasever 5.0 command syntax.

You could check journalctl as well.

Hope this helps.

usmabison
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

First, thank you for taking the time to respond. Let me try and clarify a few points ... I am not trying to upgrade from PH4 to PH5 ... I have two separate work streams. PH4 (latest GA) and PH5, built from two sources - first I simply deployed the uefi ova .. when I couldn't connect to update it, I grabbed the iso and built from it. Same result ... I am using a static IP; I do sit behind a proxy, so I cfg'ed the proxy server editing the /etc/sysconfig/proxy file (as done before successfully). I did not restart the systemd-resolved daemon earlier ... Following up .. I did turn off useDNS (temporarily) in the sshd_config file and I am able to update now ... so it was related to dns resolution ... I'm not sure what you mean by tdnf command syntax? to check to make sure what I am using is valid? But thx again for your help!

DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi @usmabison ,

Ok, good to know, it was related to sshd_config useDNS + proxy settings.

No, the 'releasever' subcommand in tdnf does not help for this.

0 Kudos