VMware Cloud Community
PanoramixTX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configuring network

Installed successfully ESXi 7 bare metal. Connect to the host without any issues (Static ipv4). Created a Ubuntu VM, can access and use locally. I do not use a domain, just a workgroup (mix of windows, linux plus some printers and NAS). From the Ubuntu VM I cannot browse, obviously no DNS resolution. I can pring the various servers, when I try ping www.yahoo.com I am getting temporary failure in name resolution. nslookup of 76.6.143.26 (A google DNS server) I am getting server can't find 76.6.143.74 in -addr.arpa: SERVFAIL. Pretty sure it's a setting I am missing somewhere in the host, but can't find it. Thx for the help

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PanoramixTX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Somehow I figured it out Because I tried several things, not sure which one did solve it. One of the thing to do is to reboot the VM after each change. It is definitely in the settings of the host. Some of the changes I did apply (In suspect it's one of them that did it): enabling promiscuity mode, changing the DND servers not only in the guests but also in the host virtual network, adding localhost as host name and localdomain in the domain name. Eventually will try to figure out which one did it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's nothing on the ESXi host you're missing, but likely a valid DNS server address in the Ubuntu guest's network settings.

Which DNS server server address did you configure? Try e.g. 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server address.

André

0 Kudos
PanoramixTX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nope, that's what I have. And I created another VM with windows, with the same issue

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
PanoramixTX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Somehow I figured it out Because I tried several things, not sure which one did solve it. One of the thing to do is to reboot the VM after each change. It is definitely in the settings of the host. Some of the changes I did apply (In suspect it's one of them that did it): enabling promiscuity mode, changing the DND servers not only in the guests but also in the host virtual network, adding localhost as host name and localdomain in the domain name. Eventually will try to figure out which one did it.

0 Kudos