VMware Networking Community
Ravinred
Contributor
Contributor

NSX Manager is crashed and How do I uninstall the NSX manger on vCenter/Esxi Host

Hello Everyone,

NSX Manager crashed and cannot boot up do to disk errors. Cannot boot to GRUB to resolve because the GBUB menu does not let you in edit mode. Booted to Ubuntu disk and ran FSCK against all disks, but NSX manager still will not boot up or let you edit GRUB menu.

I would like to un-install the nsx manager on vCenter and Esxi hosts but i don't have the NSX Manger UI access.

How do i Un-install can someone please help me on this

• NSX-Tà Version 3.2.0.1.0.19232396 And ESXià VMware ESXi, 7.0.3, 19193900
  • We don’t have 3 NSX Mangers in the cluster we have only one.

Thank you

Ravi

Labels (1)
  • ow

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Michael145
Contributor
Contributor

f we have the NSX-T manager available, we can easily get it done by going to System > Fabric > Nodes > Select the ESXi host and click on REMOVE NSX. This will cleanup the ESXi host and remove all the components added while it got prepared. NGS Medicare Connex

0 Kudos
grimsrue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you plan on building a new NSX-T manager from scratch and connecting it back to the same vCenter and ESXi hosts then you don't need to remove anything. When you connect the a new NSX-T manager to the existing vCenter and ESXi hosts, through the UI, it will give you typical error message that your vCenter / ESXi hosts are connected to another manager. Click the error message on the screen then click the "Resolve" button. That will connect your new manager back to your vCenter and ESXi hosts.

If you do not plan on building a new NSX-T manager then you will need to remove the NSX-T extension from the vCenter using the MOB

https://vcenter.fqdn/mob

Here is the generic KB article that tells you how to remove extension from the mob. Its best to look up the NSX-T extension names fro the vCenter Extension Manager in the UI

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1025360

The ESXi hosts are a bit different. You need to jump through a couple of steps to remove NSX-T completely from the hosts. You will have to run the below process on each host and reboot them. Excuse the odd numbering and bullet points. I did a copy/paste from my OneNote and the number/bullets did not copy over very well.

1. SSH into the ESXi host (if not already still logged in)
    1. RUN - vsipioctl clearallfilters -Override
    2. RUN - /etc/init.d/netcpad stop
    3. RUN - nsxcli
    4. RUN - del nsx

1. nVDS interface cleanup (Stay logged SSHed into ESXi Host)
  • RUN - esxcli network ip interface list
      1. If you see a VMK10 and/or VMK50
        1. RUN - esxcli network ip interface remove --interface-name=vmk10
        2. RUN - esxcli network ip interface remove --interface-name=vmk50
      • If you do not see a VMK10 and/or VMK50 then move to next step

RUN - esxcli network ip netstack list

1. If you see a VXLAN, and/or mirror, and/or hyperbux
        1. RUN - esxcli network ip netstack remove --netstack=vxlan
        2. RUN - esxcli network ip netstack remove --netstack=hyperbus
        3. RUN - esxcli network ip netstack remove --netstack=mirror
      1. If you do not see a VXLAN, mirror, and/or hyperbus then move to next step.

Removing  NSX VIBs (VIB need to be removed in s specific order)

1. RUN - esxcli software vib list | grep -E 'nsx|vsipfwlib' to see if NSX-T Vibs are installed
      1. Copy/Paste then RUN the below command to uninstall all the NSX-T VIB. The VIB have to be in this exact order
      1. esxcli software vib remove -n nsx-adf -n nsx-exporter -n nsx-opsagent -n nsx-netopa -n nsxcli -n nsx-cfgagent -n nsx-context-mux -n nsx-proxy -n nsx-nestdb -n nsx-vdpi -n nsx-host -n nsx-ids -n nsx-monitoring -n nsx-sfhc -n nsx-platform-client -n nsx-mpa -n nsx-python-gevent -n nsx-python-greenlet -n nsx-python-logging -n nsx-python-protobuf -n nsx-python-utils -n nsx-cpp-libs -n nsx-esx-datapath --no-live-install -n vsipfwlib -n nsx-proto2-libs -n nsx-shared-libs

After the last VIB is removed reboot the ESXi host. NSX will now be removed from host when it come back up

kjdfhaueiase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What was the error message in the console when you attempted to boot ? It's hard to see what's failing in the boot process.

Also, In theme with the others answering questions you didn't ask 🙂  It's not usually necessary for scaling to have multiple nsx managers unless you have a huge deployment, unlike the NSX network controllers. You will always need a few of those.

Therefore you need to do your own redundancy. https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-NSX-Data-Center-for-vSphere/6.4/com.vmware.nsx.upgrade.doc/GUID-2A...

Snapshots and backups are also of course a good thing. For the future that is.

My guess is that you're trying to get NSX manager removed so you can get a "working one" going again. Risky, but if you can access the drive through ubuntu, you can also access the database, etc. It would be unsupported, but perhaps grabbing that and restoring it into the working NSX manager could work for you. It all depends on how much effort you put into setting up NSX as to how important it is to recover the configuration.

Bummer that happened!

0 Kudos
JaSo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@kjdfhaueiaseThe NSX version is T, not V - you are referring to a different product and information you give are not accurate for the T version.

0 Kudos