VMware Cloud Community
aartim
Contributor
Contributor

VMware workstation 7.1 on virtual machine

Hi,

For testing purpose I'm using ESX5.0 on which i have different VMs. On one of the VM having OS win2k8R2 I have installled workstaion 7.1. I have done the required setting for nested virtualization to work like setting Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI bit, CPUId mask and setting vhv.allow to true.

Still observing the issue when i try to power on the virtual machine created on VMware workstation (hardware compatibility issue)

Can anypone please tell me is i'm missing on any settings ?

Is this scenario supported at all  ?

Thanks,

Aarti

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

aartim wrote:

Hi,

For testing purpose I'm using ESX5.0 on which i have different VMs. On one of the VM having OS win2k8R2 I have installled workstaion 7.1. I have done the required setting for nested virtualization to work like setting Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI bit, CPUId mask and setting vhv.allow to true.

Still observing the issue when i try to power on the virtual machine created on VMware workstation (hardware compatibility issue)

Can anypone please tell me is i'm missing on any settings ?

Can you post the vmware.log file for the outer VM?

Is this scenario supported at all  ?

Officially, no.  If you have manually edited your /etc/vmware/config file on your ESXi host, you fall into the unsupported category.

0 Kudos
aartim
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply. Please check the log file attached.

About the support to this scenatio, as per details given on http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970 this scenario should be supported, right ? But this KB does not mention anything about VMware workstation 7.1. So was curious to know about it.

0 Kudos