VMware Cloud Community
vmlabtest
Contributor
Contributor

This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible. This host does not support Intel VT-x.

I'm trying to install Windows 2008 server 64 bit operating system on VMWARE workstation 9 which is installed on WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64 BIT . and i'm getting this error

"

This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.
This host does not support Intel VT-x.

"

can anybody help me on this problem ?

38 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It sounds like your physical CPU doesn't support VT-x.  If so, you won't be able to run 64-bit guests. Follow the link in the message for more information on hardware and firmware requirements for 64-bit guests.

Josephvirtual
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for reply.

Lately I have realised that this error message is because one of the following reasons.

- VT is not enabled in BIOS

- CPU is not capable of VT

There is a simple Microsoft tool to check CPU VT capability and BIOS configuration. details about the tool is documented here . http://virtualcloudzz.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/steps-to-check-processor-cpu-vt.html

I had similar issue while implementing VMware view local mode, I have seen similar error message on client PC after View desktop checkout and power on. More details here

Horizon View local mode - Lessons learned |Virtualcloudz

Thanks, Jo http://virtualcloudzz.blogspot.com.au/
0 Kudos
aravind_kamble
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I am facing the same issue. I am having VMware workstation 8.0 installed on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I am using the processor Intel Core i7-3840QM. I checked on the Intel site and conformed that this processor does support VT-x. I checked in the BIOS that the Virtualization is Enabled. But still I am getting this error when trying to create a new VM for Windows 64 bit, " 64-bit guest operating systems are not supported by this host and will not run" . I ran MS tool to check the VT compatibility and it says VT is NOT supported. This seems weird. Is there anything I am missing out here?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please post your vmware.log file as an attachment (Click 'Use advanced editor' in the upper right part of the reply window to get the option of attaching a file.)

aravind_kamble
Contributor
Contributor

I am not able to find VMware.log file on my machine. Is there a particular setting on VMware workstation to enable the logging?

I searched in following locations for the VMware.log file

- C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM\Logs\

- DriveLetter:\ProgramData\VMware\VDM\logs

I am not having VDM folder itself!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The vmware.log file is in the virtual machine directory.  Most likely, this is C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Virtual Machines\%machinename%\vmware.log.

aravind_kamble
Contributor
Contributor

Attached is the VMware.log file from one of the Windows 7 X86 virtual machines.

0 Kudos
aravind_kamble
Contributor
Contributor

And this one is from Windows 7 X64 virtual machine. I tried to install it by adding 2 cores to the processor in VM Settings.I am not able to install though.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Your CPU is, in fact, reporting that it doesn't support VT-x.  It looks like you are running under a hypervisor, though it appears to be a rogue hypervisor that doesn't declare itself through CPUID information.  To the best of your knowledge, are you running the "host" Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS under a hypervisor?

admin
Immortal
Immortal

You wouldn't happen to be running a hypervisor-based security product like McAfee Deep Defender, would you?

aravind_kamble
Contributor
Contributor

Ah! ... you guessed it right. I do have McAfee Deep Defender installed. After uninstalling McAfee DD I am able to create 64 bit virtual machines. Is there a workaround for it? Can I have both McAfee DD and 64 bit VM support?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

No.  McAfee Deep Defender installs a small hypervisor between the hardware and your host OS.  As a result, the host OS runs in a virtual machine.  Since McAfee DD doesn't virtualize VT-x, hardware-assisted virtualization is not available to the nested hypervisor (VMware Workstation).  Without hardware-assisted virtualization, you can't run a 64-bit guest OS on Intel hardware with a VMware product.

aravind_kamble
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the quick replies to my queries.

0 Kudos
faizankarim
Contributor
Contributor

Dear techies,

I have been facing the same problem I am using a Windows 7 64 bit and VMware 10.0.1. When I click on Windows Server 2008 R2 64 Bit, it gives the same error discussed above i.e. "This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible. This host does not support Intel VT-x".

I have attached log file. I have also AVAST running on my PC.

Cheers,

Faizan Karim.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

That looks like Intel erratum AW67.  See http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/core-2-duo-e8000-e....  You probably need to update your BIOS.

faizankarim
Contributor
Contributor

There is no update available on Intel's website. My bios is E8400 . So now do i need to upgrade my PC or there still is some way to run 64-bit OS.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is Intel your system vendor?  What kind of motherboard do you have?

faizankarim
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I have updated my bios. But now It says:

This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.

This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.

Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.

(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'

(2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed.

(3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware Workstation.

(4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.

0 Kudos