VMware Cloud Community
Mikeyboy01443
Contributor
Contributor

Hyper-V (2008 or 2012) in VC 5.1 - please HELP!!

Hello everyone...

I hope you can help, never had such a problem getting something working in vmware as this...

I have 2x Dell Poweredge 1950 II servers, with Intel Xeon 5150 processors in. I previously had ESXi 5.0 installed, and one of my VMs was Server 2008 with Hyper-V installed, and I had created and powered on a 32-bit windows xp vm in the hyper-v vm. Now I guess I just hadn't bothered looking at it after all the hassle with updating to 5.1, but powered it on the other night, and tried to power on the vm in hyper-v, and it wouldnt start, giving me an error saying hypervisor not running or something.

So started researching about this function in 5.1, and started fiddling around, unfortunately no joy. Many posts I found were relating to Hyper-V 2012, so installed a VM of hyper-v 2012, which went fine, created a VM in hyper-v and once again it wont turn on, saying hypervisor not running. So basically, I just really want to get this working again, as it was working before 5.1, and now it isnt working! I am aware of the requirement for EPT to run nested 64-bit VMs, but as I am just trying to run 32-bit, then presumably there should be no issue with this... A brief outline of steps so far:

Server 2008 hypervisor not running, researched.

found out vhv.allow (on host) is now vhv.enable (on VM) but changed the entry on the host config file anyway - once I did this, I just got warning about not supporting intel vt-x, do I want to continue

also updated hardware version to 9

removed vhv.enable line from host, added to vmx file, still not working (i think the vm actually refused to power on)

Created 2012 hyperv VM in vsphere client

Updated hw version to 9

changed os to winhyperv

added the featMask.vm.hv.capable = "Min:1" line

still unable to power on a vm in hyper v

added vhv.enable line as well i think, think it didnt power on after this

also looked at the expose nx flag section and added the appropriate line I had set previously on the 2008 hyper v VM

nothing powering on or working Smiley SadSmiley Sad

I think this should work... I don't care about running 64-bit nested VMs, I just want to be able to run vms in hyper v like I could before!

Really would appreciate any help... will attach any files required to help diagnose problem...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hyper-V requires hardware-assisted virtualization to run any VMs, regardless of whether they are 32-bit or 64-bit.  Unfortunately, though vSphere 5.1 now offers official support for virtualized hardware-assisted virtualization, this feature requires hardware support for MMU virtualization (EPT or RVI).  If your processor does not support EPT or RVI, you will not be able to run Hyper-V as a guest under ESX 5.1.

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

It looks like your Intel 5150 CPU doesn't support EPT according to this Intel link:

http://ark.intel.com/products/27218/Intel-Xeon-Processor-5150-4M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

Datto

0 Kudos
Mikeyboy01443
Contributor
Contributor

otherthanks for the replies, guys...

I know my processor does not support EPT, but what you are saying contradicts what I have read elsewhere ...

eg.

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/08/how-to-enable-nested-esxi-other.html

"Intel VT-x or AMD-V is required for running "Nested Virtualization" which supports nested 32-bit VMs"

plenty of other people saying similar things.. is it a case of, not supported, but will work?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Mikeyboy01443 wrote:

otherthanks for the replies, guys...

I know my processor does not support EPT, but what you are saying contradicts what I have read elsewhere ...

eg.

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/08/how-to-enable-nested-esxi-other.html

"Intel VT-x or AMD-V is required for running "Nested Virtualization" which supports nested 32-bit VMs"

plenty of other people saying similar things.. is it a case of, not supported, but will work?

That statement is true if the guest hypervisor is ESXi (or any other hypervisor that can run 32-bit VMs using binary translation).  Hyper-V, however, requires hardware-assisted virtualization.  Under ESXi 5.1, virtualized hardware-assisted virtualization requires EPT or RVI.

0 Kudos
bikashsharma
Contributor
Contributor

Even I faced the same problem,if hyper v is to be installed inside a vm,we must consider to do some twweaks in .vmx file of the host where hyper-v guest is a vm.

VHD.allow= true this command was valid until Esxi 5.0 but for 5.1 its VHD.enable= true

After the config change using ssh, from vsphere web client we must enable hardware virtualizationthat will expose the hardware virtualization feature of the host.Also need some tweaks in CPUID mask.

Then in general tab of virtual machine properties need to change configuration parameters,where a row must be added as hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = FALSE

0 Kudos