VMware Cloud Community
clementevasquez
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMware Workstation allow NIC Teaming inbound with a virtual switch in Hyper-V?

Hi jmattson‌ !!!!.

I have a question.

I have a nested Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V as virtual machine on VMware Workstation 10.0.0 buil-1295980.

I created a NIC Team (2 NICs) in my Hyper-V. It works fine.

I need to create virtual NICs bound to that NIC Teaming becasue I am preparing an environment about network converged, but in Hyper-V.

However, when I create a Virtual Switch External bounded to the NIC Team from Hyper-V Manager, my Hyper-V loses network connectivity.

As soon as the NIC Team is unbinded from the virtual switch or if the virtual switch is deleted, the Hyper-V connects. Therefore, the NIC Team works fine.

Does VMware Workstation allow NIC Teaming inbound with a virtual switch in Hyper-V?. Or any workaround?

If your answer is negative. I can upgrade to VMware Workstation 12 Pro. Does VMware Workstation 12 Pro support my question?

Plese, help me :).

Thank you for your response !!.

Klem.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Technically, VMware Workstation does not support Hyper-V as a guest.  I am unfamiliar with the Hyper-V requirements for NIC teaming.  You may find more knowledgeable answers in a Hyper-V forum.

0 Kudos
clementevasquez
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @jmattson for your answer.

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
GuruMint
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Klem,

I don't think so its work on even upgraded to workstation 12 . Since there are no broadcast or multicast messages transmit   between two hosts created in private virtual network. I tried with no teaming for testing converged network. It's not work. If you want to perform the converged  network test with nested hyper-V , you should do it on top of ESXi box with the vswitch enabling promiscuous mode in order to work.

Hope this can help !

Talmud

0 Kudos