VMware Horizon Community
rleonardq
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Black Screen on Linux client

This is a new (eval) setup for Horizon and linux desktops.  

Horizon 2209 connection server with a manual pool with one ubuntu 22 vm set up as per vmware install docs

Ubuntu 20 laptop with horizon client 2209 set up as per vmware client install docs

both the client and agent installs completely successfully

i can log into the connection server fine and i can also ssh into the vm with the agent just fine

no firewalls

when i start the vmware client on my laptop it comes up with some of the settings invisible except for the checkboxes

i can connect to the connection server with the domain account ok but when i try to launch the desktop i get a black screen that disappears after about 30 seconds.  some of the settings are invisible on this as well.

i am running gnome on both agent and client and both systems are fully updated and the /etc/vmware/viewagent-custom.conf has the proper SSO setting per docs

i have attached both the pertinent sections of both the viewagent-debug.log as well as the vmware-horizon-client.log.  there is some suspicious stuff in there but not sure what is important.  

i would appreciate any help as i really want this POC to work.

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rleonardq
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this forum was no help but i will post here for future seekers.

1 - when i start the vmware client on my laptop it comes up with some of the settings invisible except for the checkboxes The fix for this was to turn off Dark Mode on Ubuntu -->Settings-->Appearance

2 - I try to launch the desktop i get a black screen this was in fact a firewall issue with a misconfigured rule only allowing protocol in one direction.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JRovan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a similar problem with Horizon client 2209 and Ubuntu 22.04LTS on a laptop where once I authenticate, I cannot load the VPC desktop. I receive an error indicating the connection was closed. Reverting to Horizon client 2206 allows me to successfully access the VPC. So far my review of the client log bundle has not turned up anything definitive.

0 Kudos
rleonardq
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this forum was no help but i will post here for future seekers.

1 - when i start the vmware client on my laptop it comes up with some of the settings invisible except for the checkboxes The fix for this was to turn off Dark Mode on Ubuntu -->Settings-->Appearance

2 - I try to launch the desktop i get a black screen this was in fact a firewall issue with a misconfigured rule only allowing protocol in one direction.

0 Kudos