VMware Horizon Community
remixedcat
Contributor
Contributor

vmware view for windows RT (metro/start screen)

as the topic title indicates when is the vmware view client for winRT going to be released? many people want this. Businesses wishing to adopt MS surface tablets are going to need this. The pricing was announced and it may look like the Pro versions (windows 8 x86) may be too much for some businesses. As a result they may want to purchase the win RT versions, as they are much cheaper, however they lack the vmware view client since there is currently no way to make x86 applications to run on WinRT.

also are there any plans for a windows phone 8 version as well?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

VMware rarely releases product road map information on the forums so the best method of obtaining this information would be from your account representive.    They should be able to give you a road map provided you have signed a NDA. 

0 Kudos
remixedcat
Contributor
Contributor

I'm an affiliate and am an IT consultant. Would my affiliate manager have that?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

He may have that information.  You could also try support but I doubt they would have that kind of information.

0 Kudos
remixedcat
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I will try to ask them and support and I will let you know.

0 Kudos
kurtd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm looking forward to a vmware view client for Windows 8 RT tablet.  I suppose we could install the full vmware view client on Windows 8 tablet if we purchase the intel version.

0 Kudos
bowtie43
Contributor
Contributor

I am also interested in the WinRT and the WP8 versions.  The excuse I normally get is that they don't develop for platforms that have such a small user base.  But of course, if there were applications for these platforms, more people would get on board.  Which one should happen first?  People buying the products and expanding the user base or people writing useful applications for them?

(Written on my Surface RT)

0 Kudos
remixedcat
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed.

0 Kudos
boundlessenergy
Contributor
Contributor

add me to the list of growing users who are waiting for this!

0 Kudos
berniewhite
Contributor
Contributor

Me too.

0 Kudos
jhevenerVAL
Contributor
Contributor

Add me and the Va Lottery too!

Windows Phone 7.5

Windows Phone 8

Windows Surface RT

Windows Surface Pro

When?  When?  When?

0 Kudos
boundlessenergy
Contributor
Contributor

I have it installed but have a cert error I can't get past.  But it is good news to know that they are close to releasing it!

http://www.vmware.com/support/viewclients/doc/viewclient-windows-store-release-notes.html

0 Kudos
Munkfeister
Contributor
Contributor

I just wanted to say that I managed to get past the cert error that you're talking about.  Basically, I followed the following steps:

1. Load up PowerShell as Adminstrator.
  2. Type 'Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration'.
  3. It will prompt you for you Live ID so just type that in.
  4. Next, run 'Set-ExecutionPolicy unrestricted'.
  5. Now, from within the MetroClient_1.7.0.0_AnyCPU_Test folder, run the 'Add-AppDevPackage.ps1' file.

This will install the required certificate and stick the application on the Start Screen.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The app was approved by Microsoft tonight and is now listed in the Windows Store.  We will be publishing a blog post soon with more information on the client.  The quick summary is that (a) it is only a Tech Preview, (b) it is RDP-only, and (c) you need to have a fully verifiable View Connection Server certificate and tunnel server certificate (if Secure Tunnel is enabled) to use it.  The last part is due to Microsoft's requirements for Windows Store apps.

I hope you all enjoy using the client and find it useful.  We have spent a lot of time on it and look forward to improving it more in 2013.

0 Kudos
kurtd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's good news.  I'll give it a try when my surface arrives.  Any chance a windows phone 8 app is in the works?

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

>> Any chance a windows phone 8 app is in the works?

Currently, no.  Microsoft decided not to bring support for JavaScript apps to Windows Phone 8 in its first iteration and our app is written in JavaScript.  If they ever bring this support to Windows Phone 8, then we will reevaluate based on how complete their port is.

0 Kudos