VMware Horizon Community
enso_
Contributor
Contributor

Windows OS Optimization Tool OR Custom cleanup script?

Hello,

what are some of you using these days to prep a gold image before taking a snapshot to deploy?

Would you recommend using the 'Finalize' option provided with: Windows OS Optimization Tool ?

So far, I've been using this script here: VDI Cleanup script I use before sealing any golden image before deployment - vEducate.co.uk.

This is for W10 Pro and Horizon 7 Instant Clones (soon to be Horizon 8 ). 

Cheers,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ggovek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a similar question, how to optimize Golden Image so that it will work quickly and efficiently. I want to optimize Windows 10 21H2 ent for Horizon 7, soon to be Horizon 8 2303.

0 Kudos
NelsonCandela
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well it's a combination of different things.

As DefProf doesn't (fully) work anymore with Windows 11 I had to do a couple of things manually, like modifying the start menu. Microsoft stripped many features in that regard and therefore it's best to create a customized menu and use that as a template for all newly created accounts.

I also tried a PowerShell script to remove Bloatware but that didn't work successfully in W11 22H2. Why? Don't know. Setting up first accounts always brought some of the apps back that were supposed to have been removed. Others were gone. Not really transparent, can't recommend.

At that stage the login time for a new account (all VDI machines are non-persistent Instant Clones) took app. 45-50 seconds.

Then I used the VMware OS Optimization Tool and received the best results with that. I generalized the image afterwards and got the logon time reduced by roughly 50 %, making it way more bearable to log on to a completely new Desktop each time. So far it looks good, even if the logon screen now shows "Updatig Store App xx of 56..." (didn't do that before, but stil much faster so I'll just go with it).

BR
NC

ggovek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tnx for your help, I will try to optimize GI with OSOT.

0 Kudos
ggovek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did the optimization with OSOT and now I have the black screen problem.

When the user logs in to the desktop, they have a black screen for 20 seconds, then the desktop appears and the login takes about 50 seconds.

Has anyone had this problem before?

0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We create Golden images with MDT, with autodeploy to our pools.
In the task sequence we are running Finalize 2 times:

lansti_0-1695710289867.png
When this is finished, we run a couple of others tasks, and then we run Finalize again before the Golden image is shutting down for Clone and snapshot before automatic deployment:

lansti_1-1695710387771.png

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
NelsonCandela
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, not really.

Can you go back to a snapshot state from before and check your optimization tasks again? Did you also generalize Windows and bring it so a OOBE state or was it just the Clean-up task you walked through with your optimization?

0 Kudos