VMware Horizon Community
MarkBenson314
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8 over PCOIP Successful workaround

First post to the forums, long time troll and have received much knowledge from all your posts.

I have found a way to distribute Windows 8 over PCOIP using either a pool or manual.  This is obviously a work-around until "official" support is available for Windows 8 on view.

Setup:

View 5.1.1 build -799444

ESXi 5.1.0

vCenter Server 5.1.0

Windows 8 Professional 32 and 64 bit

Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit

1.  Edit the settings on your base VM, go to the options tab and change the Guest Operating system from Windows 8 to Windows 7.

2.  Upgrade the virtual hardware.  ( In the vSphere client (not web) this is done by right clicking the VM and selecting "Upgrade Virtual Hardware"

3.  In the VM settings, under video card, my total video memory is set to 128mb and 3D support is enabled ( not sure this is crucial.)

3.  Power on the VM and log in.

4.  Uninstall the view agent, reboot.

5.  Re-install the view agent, de-select view persona management ( not sure if this is crucial??) reboot.

6.  Take a snapshot of the VM

7.  Create a pool ( or recompose an existing pool....both have worked)

8  Ensure the pool settings under Remote Display Protocol are set as follows:

Default display protocol:  PCOIP

Allow users to choose:    NO

Windows 7 3D rendering:  Enabled.  Memory set to 128mb  ( not sure this is crucial )

9.  Enjoy Win8 over PCOIP.

If anyone has the time to test the values I'm not sure are crucial and wants to post their results, that would be appreciated!

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pbranski
Contributor
Contributor

I was having this problem as well (no Windows 8 PCoIP in View 5.1.1, ESXi 5.1). What I did was the following:

Started with VM hardware 7, new Agent, new Tools, Floating Manual pool with 1 windows 8 machine in it. PCoIP not working.

Did this - 1.  Edit the settings on your base VM, go to the options tab and change the Guest Operating system from Windows 8 to Windows 7.

Did this - 2.  Upgrade the virtual hardware.  ( In the vSphere client (not web) this is done by right clicking the VM and selecting "Upgrade Virtual Hardware"

Did this - 3.  In the VM settings, under video card, my total video memory is set to 128mb and 3D support is enabled ( not sure this is crucial.)

Didn't do step 3-7

3.  Power on the VM and log in.

4.  Uninstall the view agent, reboot.

5.  Re-install the view agent, de-select view persona management ( not sure if this is crucial??) reboot.

6.  Take a snapshot of the VM

7.  Create a pool ( or recompose an existing pool....both have worked)

Did this - 8  Ensure the pool settings under Remote Display Protocol are set as follows:

Default display protocol:  PCOIP

Allow users to choose:    NO

Windows 7 3D rendering:  Enabled.  Memory set to 128mb  ( not sure this is crucial )

This worked after rebooting machine - 9.  Enjoy Win8 over PCOIP.

0 Kudos