VMware Horizon Community
jslarouche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View Composer fails on compatibility check...

Hello all,

I've just re-installed View Composer and when I click the "check for view composer compatibility" button I get the following error - This version of vCenter Server does not support View Composer..

The version of vCenter is - 4.0.0 Build 208111

View composer is installed on the vCenter server is - VMware-viewcomposer-2.0.0-210930.exe

The view software that I have installed is - VMware-viewconnectionserver-4.0.1-233023.exe

So not exactly sure what my issue is.. The view composer service is running. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
kjohnston
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You must have vCenter u1 or higher installed. vCenter u1 is build 208156.

0 Kudos
jslarouche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do have the latest and greatest.. See the screen shot. See the attached file

0 Kudos
jslarouche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I placed a call with VMware support and still no go.. I think there is a bug.. We checked the support matrix and it states that View Composer is only supported on Windows 2003 Std or Ent SP1

View Composer 2.0 Windows Server 2003 Standard or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 or Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2

A supported SQL database. For more information, see the VMware View Upgrade Guide.

Originally I had VC and Viewcomposer installed on the same on a Wndows 2008 x64bit server. So I re-deployed a new Windows 2003 Std machine and re-installed VC and View composer as i previously had and I'm still getting the same error with the new OS.. I also had the view composer database deleted and re-created from new to avoid confilcts in the Database from the old install. View composer just wont connect for some strange reason. I'm almost at the point of giving up and calling View 4.0 a failure in our environment. Even support cant seem to fix the issue. hmmm.

0 Kudos
jslarouche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
kjohnston
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You said your vCenter build was 208111. That is less than the vCener u1 version.

0 Kudos
jslarouche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dude, your not helping..

I think i've got it nailed down to the account that i am using that is the issue. Does anyone know what the Active Directory credentials requirements to create a linked clone in View Composer is? My LAN account works without an issue with VIew Composer.. I had our security team create a new account in order for me to use this account with View Manager but this new account seems to be failing.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Here is a KB with the minimum AD permissions for composer, http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100765.... It's for View 3 but may still be helpful.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
jslarouche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is what i found earlier and i had my AD guy set this and still no go with the new account..

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1007697&sl...

Here is another thread that talks about the problem

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/197108

0 Kudos
kjohnston
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So the explanation for the different versions is this - there are two builds involved, the original vCenter source build and then the build that produces the ISO image. The ISO image build for the 4.0.0u1 build is 208156. The source build that the installer build uses is build 208111. So it appears that you do have the 4.0.0u1 build.

The error message you are seeing must be misleading - are there any more detailed errors in the log files on the View Manager server?

0 Kudos
jslarouche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have found the issue.. The view composer account must get added to the localadmin group on the VC server to allow it to deploy link clones.. Go figure..

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!!

Does anyone have a download link for VMware View 4.x or the "vmware-viewconnectionserver-4.0.1-233023.exe"?

Tks!!

0 Kudos