VMware Horizon Community
njlaw
Contributor
Contributor

VMware View and Juniper without requiring installation

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to setup VMware View and and a Juniper SA SSL VPN Appliance so that the user can log onto the VPN and use VMware view without requiring any administrative privileges. I have a working installation and can use VMware through the SA in Firefox or Chrome (the Java View client is launched), but if I try in Internet Explorer it want to either download the Windows client or install an ActiveX control, both of with are not permitted in this environment.

According to the documentation on the VMware site and Juniper site, there is official support for clientless modes of operation, but this requires either a NC or WSAM session to be open via the SA and both of these require administrative privileges to install.

At the very least, is there some way to force VMware to launch the Java client instead of the Windows client for Internet Explorer?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There is a whitepaper from Juniper describing your scenario. (Almost) www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/app-notes/3500148-en.pdf

You still need the installation of the Clientor web client. Maybe thinapping a View Client would be a go but with that USB redirection will not be available due to system drivers which a not virtualizable.

Regards,

Christoph

Don't forget to award the points if this answer was helpful for you.

Blog:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth |

0 Kudos
njlaw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Christoph.

The end goal of this is that any employee be able to connect from a library kiosk, his brother's wife's cousin's computer, etc., so we're really looking for a solution that requires no installation of any sort.

As far as I was able to tell, all of the solutions offered in the whitepaper require some sort of installation. If you use a virtual desktops resource profile, you need the client. If you use a web resource profile, you need WSAM or NC. Is there a way to do this over JSAM instead using the Java client from the portal? I'm still trying to figure out how to force the portal to launch the Java client for Internet Explorer.

It's also noted in the whitepaper that, "some of the features supported in thin client configurations, such as clientless access

and seamless Java client fallback, are not currently supported in this scenario." (p. 3) Any additional information on clientless access and Java fallback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos