VMware Horizon Community
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware View : Place new desktops into correct OU?

Hi -

We are in the final stages of a VDI deployment and are fine-tuning the various features offered by Desktop Pools in VMware View 3.0.0.

During the final step of Desktop Pool creation, you can select which OU to place the AD Computer Account for new VMs. The default of course is to place VMs in the 'Computers' OU, but we would like to be quite more specific.

We can get the AD Computer Accounts to be placed correctly when the OU is right off the root - but when we specify an OU that is much deeper down the tree, we get errors in View Managerwhen new VMs are created.

Specifically:

Error during provisioning 4/28/09 10:15:45 AM EDT: Specified AD container partial distinguished name is not valid

Perhaps the syntax is wrong? What is the correct way to specify this?

Sven

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

So.. it should be:

OU=Business Office,OU=Kdlstaff

Christoph's Blog entry here: http://www.thatsmyview.net/2009/04/16/quickprep-ou-configuration/ Details it nice.

Want make a difference in the future of VMware Products? Feature request your ideas ( )!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You'd want to put them in from deep down to domain. And it's only OU and CN. Smiley Happy

What is the actual string that you are using?

Want make a difference in the future of VMware Products? Feature request your ideas ( )!

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are putting in OU=Business Office in the last step of the Pool creation wizard. Though the OU exists, it doesn't seem to like it.

In Active Directory, it bounces down the tree like this: kdl.net --> KDLStaff ---> Business Office

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Probably the space. Have you tried OU="Business Office" or tried renaming it to BusinessOffice? And is KDLStaff an OU? Let me know if either of those work. It may be worthwhile to get a bug filed on this if that is, in fact, the issue.

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, KDLStaff is an OU as well. I think I need something like OU=Kdlstaff, OU=Business Office but I am not sure. I can't seem to find anywhere in the VMware View Docs on what the "correct" nomenclature is.

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

So.. it should be:

OU=Business Office,OU=Kdlstaff

Christoph's Blog entry here: http://www.thatsmyview.net/2009/04/16/quickprep-ou-configuration/ Details it nice.

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's what I am looking for!

Thanks much for the fast replies.

Sven

0 Kudos