VMware Horizon Community
Don40
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDI Setup Questions

I am new to VDI environment , I have few questions to clarify on the setup ..

_1. _User remapping to the VM - when a user logs in for the first time in the persistent pool, the VM gets assigned to him permanently. How do I remap the VM to different users? In persistent pool

_2. _VM's bringing out of Pool - Can we deploy the VM's using the pool and later can we bring those VM's out of pool and use them as Individual VM's? (I mean not anymore inside the pool) As it deletes the Vm ‘s from the pool ..if I reduce the number in the pool ...

My requirement is to use Pool for deploying 200VM's but I would like to use Individual machine as I need to name all the VM's with the User ID names not using the prefix numbering

_3. _Local Admins on desktop VM's - Is it must for all the users who entitled the VM, should have the local admin access on the VM.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks Mike. I would give you some points for your excellent response time and accurate answers if I could. Smiley Happy

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since you didn't specify any type of broker I am going to assume we are talking about VMware's VDM product.

1: Currently the only way to do this through the VDM Admin is to delete the VM and another one will be recreated and provisioned to a different user. See this thread for more details http://communities.vmware.com/message/885454#885454

2: I don't think there is any way to remove a VDM from a pool other than deleting it. I haven't played around with trying to remove them so I'm not 100% sure on that.

3: The users do not have to be local admin unless you want the USB redirection to work or if you have some type of application that requires it. The VDM agent and client do not require Admin rights to perform the basic functionality.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I am new to VDI environment , I have few questions to clarify on the setup ..

_1. _User remapping to the VM - when a user logs in for the first time in the persistent pool, the VM gets assigned to him permanently. How do I remap the VM to different users? In persistent pool

As mittim said, with 2.0 there is no way to switch the machine from one user to another within the pool. You can, however, remove it from the pool and add it back in as an individual VM (see #2)

_2. _VM's bringing out of Pool - Can we deploy the VM's using the pool and later can we bring those VM's out of pool and use them as Individual VM's? (I mean not anymore inside the pool) As it deletes the Vm ‘s from the pool ..if I reduce the number in the pool ...

You can safely remove VMs from the pool to later be added in as individual desktops, simply delete the VM from the VDM admin UI. Make sure to select 'remove from connection broker' and not 'delete from disk'!

My requirement is to use Pool for deploying 200VM's but I would like to use Individual machine as I need to name all the VM's with the User ID names not using the prefix numbering

If you're doing a custom naming scheme for the VMs, you'll need to provision them yourself as VDM will only create pools with a fixed naming scheme.

_3. _Local Admins on desktop VM's - Is it must for all the users who entitled the VM, should have the local admin access on the VM.

No, administrative rights are only required for USB support on the VM. You will need to add your users to the 'Remote Desktop Users' group though.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I guess for step 2 when you want to remove a machine from the pool you have to rename it as well since it would currently have the pool assigned VM name?

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes, to stay on the safe side and avoid name collisions you could certainly do that, though it shouldn't be necessary in most cases as VDM increments the number at the end of the VM name each time rather than reusing any missing ones.

mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks Mike. I would give you some points for your excellent response time and accurate answers if I could. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Don40
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks...

0 Kudos
srinivasaddagat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have couple of questions in similar line

1. If I normally connect to PC "vmxp1" in a persistent pool and it's offline, does the VDM client automatically select the next PC in the pool ?. Also can same user have more than one PC assigned to him in the pool?

2. How do i remove mapping of a PC to a user in persistent pool?. I have a persistent pool with two VMs, initially connected by two different users and things went time, when i try again as the already connected user it says desktop not available, VDM server logs shows that its trying to create a new VM but i explicitly disabled provisioning as its unnecessarily creating new VMs though the old ones in the pool show status as ready. Am i missing anything?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

1. If I normally connect to PC "vmxp1" in a persistent pool and it's offline, does the VDM client automatically select the next PC in the pool ?. Also can same user have more than one PC assigned to him in the pool?

No, if a user has a VM allocated in a persistent pool, that user will always be connected to the same machine. If the VM is powered off, VDM will attempt to power it back on again. If VDM cannot talk to the VC to power the VM back on, the user will not be able to log in.

2. How do i remove mapping of a PC to a user in persistent pool?. I have a persistent pool with two VMs, initially connected by two different users and things went time, when i try again as the already connected user it says desktop not available, VDM server logs shows that its trying to create a new VM but i explicitly disabled provisioning as its unnecessarily creating new VMs though the old ones in the pool show status as ready. Am i missing anything?

Currently, the only way to do this through the admin UI is to delete the VM, it's also possible to manually remove the link between the VM and user within ADAM if you wanted to get your hands dirty. If you're attempting to log in as a user that's already assigned a VM, you should be able to reconnect - what's the Audit error message on the connection server when you get the 'desktop not available' error message on the client?

EDIT: Looks like this query now has its own thread : http://communities.vmware.com/thread/146039

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Moved to the VDM forum as this is not a generic VDI post but focused to VDM

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos