VMware Horizon Community
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Teams Human Interface Devices

When exactly can we expect this to work? According to MS HID is available for for WVD/Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, however it doesn't work with Horizon.

https://www.microsoft.com/en/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=83024

We are looking to switch out our phone system in the next year and a half and really would like to push for Teams but not having HID control is a limiting factor for ease of use.

Labels (4)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
i4steck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The new version 2206 should bring this function with it. Unfortunately, Microsoft still has to roll out an update for Teams now.
We are curious, because we have already updated Horizon.

0 Kudos
antongerl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, any news on this topic?

We are running 2209, Media Optimized and its still not working. HID works locally.

Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365

0 Kudos
i4steck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello together

A month ago the HID was working.
Since one week it seems to be deactivated again.
We serve several customers and they complain about the same phenomenon.

I wonder why Microsoft removed the feature.

0 Kudos
i4steck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any Updates available?

0 Kudos
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK.... I am not crazy!! I saw the same thing. It then broke again but I thought it had something to do with the new laptop I got or a GPO change. I haven't been able to get it working again.

Currently on:

You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.5.00.21463 (64-bit). VMware Media Optimized.

0 Kudos
i4steck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use Teams 1.5.00.36367 VMware Media Optimized.

The function came without a change to the system, so this disappeared again 3 weeks later. Our users would like to have it back and there is nothing we can do.

0 Kudos
noodleNT
Contributor
Contributor

Darn… I was hoping that version would fix it. I guess we have to wait for MS to deploy a Teams update?

I really would like this deployed soon. Planning on migrating our phone system to Teams in Q3\4.

0 Kudos
sprabhu11
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this HID issue and also trying out various methods for troubleshooting.
VMware is aware that HID functionality is broken on MS Teams for VDI. And we had also notified Microsoft about this issue few months back. They are actively looking into resolving this issue but they do not have an ETA yet.
For more details on this issue and timeline for the fix, please feel free to contact Microsoft support.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Sonia

NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wonder if this is related....

TM510646February 15, 2023 2:44 PM

Title: Teams users with Human Interface Devices (HID) may experience persisting dial tones or other degraded functionality User impact: Users with HIDs attached when disconnecting from a Teams meeting may subsequently experience degraded functionality. More info: This issue only affects the Teams desktop client and Windows Microsoft Teams Room (MTR) devices, and only when those devices had an HID connected during a recently terminated meeting. Users may experience the following impact scenarios: - Device peripheral call indicators, such as an LED display, may not turn off as expected when a Teams meeting ends. - For users utilizing on-premises Skype for Business with Microsoft Teams in coexistence mode, a persistent dial-tone during Microsoft Teams calls may be experienced. - If users were muted during a meeting, users may experience being unable to unmute during subsequent meetings. Users may restart their Microsoft Teams client to mitigate this impact. This commonly affects users with a HID such as an audio headset. More information regarding HIDs can be found here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/hid/ While the fix is being deployed, we can disable the HID feature for your organization to temporarily mitigate this issue if requested. However, users won't be able to use Mute/Unmute or Hook/OffHook controls from their headset devices until the full fix is available. Current status: The fix initiated its deployment as expected on Tuesday, February 14, 2023, and we've confirmed that it has been deployed to 50 percent of the affected environment. Based on current progress, we now expect that the deployment will complete and the issue will be resolved by tomorrow, Thursday, February 16, 2023. Users may begin to experience relief from impact as they receive the fix, and we'll continue to monitor its progress until the deployment has completed in full. Scope of impact: This issue only affects Microsoft Teams users with a HID connected, and only impacts the Microsoft Teams desktop client and Windows MTR devices. Start time: Tuesday, December 6, 2022, 8:34 PM (12/7/2022, 1:34 AM UTC) Estimated Time to Resolve: Based on current progress, we expect this issue to be resolved by Thursday, February 16, 2023.  Preliminary root cause: Changes to improve the HID feature for Microsoft Teams users introduced a code issue, causing degraded functionality to some users with these device types attached to their Teams client.  Next update by: Thursday, February 16, 2023, 6:00 PM (11:00 PM UTC)

0 Kudos
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@sprabhu11 

Are there any special configurations we should stage ahead of time? For instance... I have "Allow Auto Device Splitting" enabled and set to Allow in Group Policy.

0 Kudos
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any update or comment to my question @sprabhu11 ?

0 Kudos
i4steck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It looks like the feature is available again.
This was rolled out staggered without teams update.

Let's hope it stays now.

0 Kudos
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, noticed it started working while in the office. However, I also noticed when working remotely going through the gateway the buttons do not work. Anyone else seeing this issue?

0 Kudos
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Started working through the gateways too for me so we are in good shape.

0 Kudos