VMware Horizon Community
VMHero4Ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sticky Notes not starting

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right place for this issue. But let's see 🙂
Since we generated our master image of Win10-20H2 we have the following issue on our VMware instant clone pool.

If a user clicks on the windows store sticky notes app, it doesn't start correctly. 
There is only a window in the taskbar with a running cycle inside but I am not able to add a new note.

If I close the process/windows and open the sticky notes again. It works!
I also reset my UEM profile but same issue happens everytime again. First start after logon to the instant clone the sticky notes don't start correctly.

Sticky Notes version is: 4.1.6.0

Don't had this issue with the old Windows 10 - 1809 build.
All other appx like calculator, photos, etc don't have issues.

StickyNotes4.1.6.0.png

0 Kudos
14 Replies
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yeah currently having the same issue. Nothing changed in our environment. We just started hearing user complaining about it. Did you ever found a solution to the issue. 

0 Kudos
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This issue seems to be at the OS level and I don't see any relation to Horizon. Please check if this helps.

https://thegeekpage.com/sticky-notes-not-working/

You may try to launch Sticky Notes in Master Image itself to check if the application in the image is working or not.

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've seen this at a customer once after upgrading the master image to a new Win10 build. We were able to solve it by running the following powershell command at user logon (no elevation needed):

Add-AppxPackage -Register "c:\program files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_3.1.53.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

We first tried running it once, but at next logon it happened again, so we added it to each user logon. It runs very quick and doesn't really slow down your login time.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
VMHero4Ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mickeybyte,

I tested your command (with the correct sticky notes version) but doesn't solve the issue in my environment.

0 Kudos
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I was not able to resolve it using that command either. I did however speak with Microsoft and opened a case. Apparently it is a known issue but they do not a solution for it yet.

0 Kudos
VMHero4Ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for your answer!
Do you have any details about this bug? Does it only happen in 20H2?

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It might be related to what is described in this post: Re: Notice: FSlogix and UWP application compatibil... - VMware Technology Network VMTN.

I know the original question was not about FSLogix, but it might be related to the fact some folders are retained that UWP apps have problems with if the computer changes.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
LukeGibbons
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know if Microsoft are any closer to resolving this issue? This article describes the exact issue we’re facing perfectly with the taskbar and user experience (only article I can find which describes the exact issue on the web)

We’re also finding this only impacts 20H2 as we had no issues on 1809. I initially thought this was a Horizon Instant Clone issue specific to VMware however we also have this on our physical estate so does look to be an OS issue. I haven’t tried 21H2 so not sure if it’s been resolved in a later build but it’s not been resolved in the 2022-01 cumulative update for 20H2. This is using the 4.2.2.0 version of the app and I have tried the above suggestions and re-registered the app but this does not resolve the issue.

Its not a major inconvenience as simply closing and reopening the app brings up all notes however it’s not ideal for the end user.

0 Kudos
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I do not believe they figured it out yet. I have a call with them tomorrow morning so they can gather more logs. 

0 Kudos
LukeGibbons
Contributor
Contributor

Would be interesting to know what they suggest so please do keep us updated with any updates. Glad it’s not just me who’s having this issue.

0 Kudos
victor59hk
Contributor
Contributor

I found on a chinese website

you may update NotesApp value to ".", instead the default one "Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App"

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PenWorkspace\Notes

0 Kudos
VMHero4Ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I changed the value to "." before first start of StickyNotes. Still the same issue. Doesn't seems to change anything.
Did it work in your enviroment?

0 Kudos
David0121
Contributor
Contributor

I have solved my issue by using powershell to remove and install Sticky Notes.

0 Kudos
alex17pat
Contributor
Contributor

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to repair sticky notes.

0 Kudos