VMware Horizon Community
mathewdsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OS optimization tool

Hi. I've used the OS Optimization tool before for instant clones and it has worked well but I've got to make a Full VM pool and I'm wondering of the tool still applies or not.

Also, when installing the Horizon agent do I need to keep Instant Clones agent feature selected for full VMs? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I haven't tried it personally, but it will be good to use the tool even for full clones. Instant clone agent is not required for full clones.

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
0 Kudos
apolyakov_vmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Mathewdsa,

Q: Hi. I've used the OS Optimization tool before for instant clones and it has worked well but I've got to make a Full VM pool and I'm wondering of the tool still applies or not.

A: You can use Optimization tool for any type of clone: Full or Instant. Typically, you run it on Golden image when preparing OS image for future VMs. The tool needs to be run in Audit mode (Update, Analyze->Optimize, Finalize, Generalize). Once done, you can save the image and refer to it when creating clones. This golden image will be a source for future Full clone VMs as well you use if with Instant Clone (Base Image, Parent VM). The only difference if how Full and Instant clone works. Full Clone - is a separate copy of the golden image (VM), the Instant Clone - is a memory/disk delta from original golden image (VM). Both uses gold image as initial point. 

Q: Also, when installing the Horizon agent do I need to keep Instant Clones agent feature selected for full VMs? 

A: Instant Clone and Full Clone VMs are separate type of VM configuration. Full clone - a full copy of your golden image VM. Instant Clone - is a disk and memory delta of you golden VM (whatever changes you made to Instant Clone VMs are stored separate from Base/parent VM). Horizon Agent is agnostics to what type of clone it is running on.

0 Kudos