VMware Horizon Community
JF_ID
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Linked-Clone Vm ask user to reboot

I don't know why, Almost all the time, VM from a linked-clone ask "You must restart your computer to apply these changes" nothing is list in "These changes" and there nothing in the event viewer.

Running:

Vmware Horizon View 5.2
Windows 7 Ent x32

Anybody have a idea?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JF_ID
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Found the problem, as i said before, i copy my master image on all my hosts that are setup with different hardware (CPU) as this KB explain VMware KB: Windows prompts for restart after being migrated via vMotion on a VDI cluster with enhanc...,

The problem was that I was using Sysprep instead of Quickprep, didn't read the little note in the KB Smiley Wink. Sysprep as the function to delete all drivers to have a clean image. This let install only needed drivers when it come up. The first time the machine come up (finishing sysprep) no problem, couple of days later, machine move or reboot to other hosts and drivers need to be install and need reboot.

Now that i'm using Quickprep, everything working fine!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is the host where the master image was created and the hosts in your view cluster on similiar hardware?

Could it because it's detecting new hardware?

0 Kudos
JF_ID
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, it different hardware, but i already thing about that and i make sure that my master image was on each host before i make master snapshot.

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

OK, but I think it would still prompt for reboot when it detects new hardware/CPU (I'm not sure). Unless you sysprep maybe?

I think there was a similar post here about the same issue not too long ago.

0 Kudos
JF_ID
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Quickprep or sysprep, reboot computer, it look like something happen after that... Does Windows Activation or Office Activation need reboot? Event viewer don't see any Hardware change, or restart event.

If i could find a log file to check who asking for reboot it will be great!

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sysprep -  setupact.log and setuperr.log in c:\windows\

I do not believe Windows and office activation requires a reboot.

0 Kudos
JF_ID
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Stuff in the log are before the final reboot of the guest, soo nothing there too.  It really annoying... can figure out where it come from.

0 Kudos
JF_ID
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Found the problem, as i said before, i copy my master image on all my hosts that are setup with different hardware (CPU) as this KB explain VMware KB: Windows prompts for restart after being migrated via vMotion on a VDI cluster with enhanc...,

The problem was that I was using Sysprep instead of Quickprep, didn't read the little note in the KB Smiley Wink. Sysprep as the function to delete all drivers to have a clean image. This let install only needed drivers when it come up. The first time the machine come up (finishing sysprep) no problem, couple of days later, machine move or reboot to other hosts and drivers need to be install and need reboot.

Now that i'm using Quickprep, everything working fine!

tjbailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just wanted to chime in really quick.  We had the same issue and I found a way around it while still using Sysprep.  On the gold image if you change the following from 0 to 1 it'll prevent the old stuff from being wiped out:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep\Settings\sppnp

DoNotCleanUpNonPresentDevices (change from 0 to 1).

0 Kudos
AJ6681
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have had this problem after applying MS patches.   Make sure you reboot your master image after patching even if it doesn't prompt you.  Also make sure you stop and disable Windows Update service before you take a new snapshot.  nothing  sucks worse than having 200 linked clones get updates and users reboot just to log back and get all the same patches after the machine refreshes at logout

0 Kudos