VMware Horizon Community
KurtisR
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon View Client Authenticating... VPN

Greetings,

Coming across a problem when connecting to my View environment over VPN.

Internally on the LAN, there is no problem.

Externally, through my Security server, there's no problem either.

Externally but over VPN (Thus using the internal VIP and load balancer) (Site to Site, or SSLVPN from one pc), it doesn't always work.

Basically, it connects to the server just fine, passes SSL verification (Shows green https).

Prompts me for username and password, but sometimes it just accepts the input, and then just stalls on "Authenticating...".

It's not frozen, and can be cancelled. There's no network traffic showing it's still trying anything.

View 5.3.1

Client: Any, but tried with the old 5.4, as well as 3.0 and 3.1, same either way.

Client Log shows no issue at all.

2014-11-17 10:53:30.023+-5:00 INFO (0A1C) [libcdk] Connecting to tunnel server '**********:443' over HTTPS.

2014-11-17 10:53:30.023+-5:00 INFO (0A1C) [libcdk] TaskCombiner: CdkGetTunnelConnectionTask(DONE) removed, group task num:2, total task num:2.

2014-11-17 10:53:30.023+-5:00 INFO (0A1C) [libcdk] TaskCombiner: SetResult for CdkGetTunnelConnectionTask(DONE).

2014-11-17 10:58:55.410+-5:00 INFO (0A1C) [WinCDK] AuthDlg::OnCancel : [User] Enter Windows_Password:Cancel.

Note the time difference. There's nothing between those entries, and I can let it go forever, it never times out.

Any ideas? This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, as it's intermittent.

Thanks,

Kurtis

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe something DNS related?     When using the VPN does it get different DNS servers then it would if you were just on the LAN?

0 Kudos
KurtisR
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for responding,

The users attempting to connect via the BOVPN have the two domain controllers at the head office as DNS servers.

The SSLVPN users get the same two DNS servers as the on site users when connected to the VPN. (Both domain controllers again)

So in all cases, the same DNS servers are being used.

I just checked using SSLVPN from my PC while external to the network.

When the connection is just hanging at the Authenticating stage, the hostnames and IP's it resolved for them are the correct internal ones.

(The load balanced VIP for the two connection servers)

So no luck with DNS being the issue.

Thanks,

Kurtis

0 Kudos
maestrokwek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I am also facing the same problem. Did you find a work around for it and were you able to resolve the problem

0 Kudos
KurtisR
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have not found a workaround or solution.

At this point I have basically given up, and just been setting up users and sites strictly without VPN.

I have not had the time (Or project work) to upgrade this environment to Horizon 6, so I don't know if patches would help.

Try different network equipment (Firewall and VPN), maybe thats it. I cant replace pieces in the environment so I cant test that.

Good luck.

0 Kudos