VMware Horizon Community
TimLovegrove
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fixing display resolutions in Guest clones

Hi everyone, I'm configuring a VDI environment using HV5.3.0 running on ESXi 5.1. I have everything largely up and running and have tested and created linked clones, can connect to them and run them happily. We will be depolying Wyse P45 Zero Clients as the endpoints though at the moment I am testing using the View Client on my Windows 7 box to connect to test vms.

I'm now at the point where I need to build and optimise a golden image, and I have what seems to be an unusual configuration requirement. We are virtualising a system that runs a legacy piece of software which was was previously running on XP but we are moving it up to Win 7. This piece of software is hardcoded to run at 1024x768, and requires either 2 or 3 monitors depending on the version. I'm aware I can set the Zero Clients to present a specific screen size, however I would like to fix my golden image at this resolution and monitor configuration so that I don't need to individually configure the Zero Clients. The software does not resize, and in the case of the 3-screen setup is actually built as a single application window spanning the 3 screens, so any change in resolution means it doesn't fit properly across the screens.

I've been through a couple of guides on how to do this but had no real luck. The two approaches I've tried are explained on serverfault.com ("Two monitors in one VM") and VMware's KB 1003. If anyone has any further suggestions about how to approach this it would be much appreciated!

Kind regards

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There is no supported way of doing that, you need to do it on the Zero Clients.

Are you aware that you there is a central management console for the Zero:s to manage them and make these settings?

Its free to download at Teradici:s supportsite.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There is no supported way of doing that, you need to do it on the Zero Clients.

Are you aware that you there is a central management console for the Zero:s to manage them and make these settings?

Its free to download at Teradici:s supportsite.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
TimLovegrove
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info Linjo, that's very useful to know (although I am a little disappointed!). I'll check out the Teradaci site and find the management tool. These clients will be connecting to a number of different Golden Images, only one of which requires this limited resolution so I was hoping I could set it up in the GI to handle all that. However they are classroom machines which will be running specific images for specific courses, so don't need to be able to instantly swap between resolutions, which means I can reconfigure between courses. Hopefully the Teradici download will make that straightforward.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Here is the related kb: VMware KB: Guest-driven mode changes are not supported in Horizon View if you use PCoIP connections

0 Kudos