VMware Horizon Community
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changing Pools but keeping desktops?

I need to change my pool to use quick prep but I see that is not an option once you create the pool.   If I create a new pool, how do I get my users/desktops to transition to this new pool?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

What kind of pool do you currently have? 

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linked Clone.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Is it a floating pool or a dedicated pool?  if it's dedicated to you have persistent disk?  

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dedicated using ProfileUnity, no persistent disk.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If it's using profile unity you should be able to create a new pool based on snapshot of old pool, entitle users and allow them to login, and then let profile unity do all the hard work of copying the profile down.    All this is subject to testing but I wouldn't think it would be an issue.   

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am guessing all desktops will be a different name though...?  My naming pattern is setup the same as my current pool.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The desktop name can be whatever you want.  If you must maintain the same name then the previous pool will have to be deleted first but if you don't need to retain that name then just do something different.    The end user doesn't need to know the name since View handles the connection.  

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok cool.  I'll give it a go.  thanks again as always!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Since profile unity is handling the profile you might also be able to test out a floating pool.   That is unless you had some other reason for using dedicated desktops. 

0 Kudos