VMware Horizon Community
kanid99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone having issues with Outlook or Teams after latest Windows 10 security updates ?

We are running Horizon 2303 in ESXI 7.03. Guests are Windows 10 21H2 Ent. Horizon pools instant clones with floating assignments.

We just pushed Windows security update for February (KB5034763) and after this was published, the users in these pools where it was published were having intermittent issues connecting to Outlook or Teams (MS365). If the same user logged out and back in, they would be ok, but maybe not the next day.

I used my test user to connect to 30 sessions in the pilot pool and about 1 in 3 had the issue.

It seems to be WAM is broken because if I apply DisableAADWAM Outlook will work again (but no such workaround for Teams). The only consistent fix is to rollback the update.

The reason Im posting this here is that this issue is NOT affecting our physical workstations or, as far as I can tell any persistent VMs. Only affecting our instant clone VMs. Ive seen a couple posts on Reddit about this but in each case the experience was the same, affecting Horizon instant clones but not persistent machines or Physical devices and specific to this MS KB.

56 Replies
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, our shop ran into the same thing in testing so we're holding off on rolling out the security update (yikes) for Feb to see if they fix this (ticket open) in the March update. 

Jnissa
Contributor
Contributor

Us !!! And I've been trying everything o know but nothing fixed it!

It's so tricky because it's intermittent issue! I'm loosing my mind here what the heck happened with that patch and how can we fix it?!? 

kanid99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have yet to find any solution. I'm hoping that there is something in this month's patch for windows that will miraculously fix it.

The only thing that resolved the issue was rolling back Windows updates for February. 

0 Kudos
Jnissa
Contributor
Contributor

Hey I already pushed the March one and it didn't fix it.. what a wired situation! 

kanid99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh wow. Thanks for ruining my Wednesday haha that was what I was going to do tomorrow. Would have done it today but I was out .. I have a case open through Microsoft support but it's going absolutely nowhere and they havent had any solutions, only recommendation was to just not apply the update. But it's really not something I can do, not for very long anyway before the security team and compliance folks get really itchy. 

The intermittentness of it is what really boggles my mind. What's different about those situations that makes them not work? It's nothing obvious . If I get anywhere with Microsoft support and or find any good workarounds besides just not applying the update I will post it here.

Jnissa
Contributor
Contributor

LOL sorry about that! Btw when I took a look at that problematic patch it's seems like part of it is Microsoft office/Microsoft Outlook security updates too (this patch is huge 73 updates!!) 

Yes please keep us posted here! I'll do the same I hope to have any fix for it soon! It's too much to skip 2 months of security patches! 

tonyflan1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I am seeing this issue too and the March updates have not resolved it so I will need to raise it with the support team.

JeroenTil
Contributor
Contributor

We are now testing in the post-sync script restart-netadapter -name "Ethernet0".

Manual testing it was a nice workarround.

tonyflan1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cheers. how does that work? sorry for my ignorance on this?

JeroenTil
Contributor
Contributor

For instant clones je can add a Post-Synchronization Script () that runs after cloning the machine.

For example RESETKEYINFORMATION for SCCM agent. Then the SCCM agent unique

kanid99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Im doing something similar with a post-sync script - Im not sure if its having an effect or not. My personal testing showed that in 1:6 log ins I still had the issue, but this was down from 1:3 . 

0 Kudos
kanid99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@JeroenTil  - how has this worked out for you ? using this as a post-sync script has NOT worked for me. In using my own test user, Im still seeing the issue happen about 1:5 to 1:6 times.

0 Kudos
JeroenTil
Contributor
Contributor

We are still testing it. Maybe we have the same results a you have.

vShazerJr
Contributor
Contributor

It doesn't resolve the issue. 

jmacdaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just curious, are your virtual desktops hybrid joined?

0 Kudos
tonyflan1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No we are fully on prem

0 Kudos
JeroenTil
Contributor
Contributor

We did the following reaction from Microsoft:

I also wanted to let you know that this is a known issue with Windows February Security Patch KB5034763, as confirmed by VMware.

We kindly ask that you give us some time to work on this and that you check back as soon as possible for an update.

As agreed upon yesterday, we will get updates in less than thirty hours. However, as PG has been contacted to help further and this has been identified as a known issue with the patch updates, we ask that you wait for the upcoming updates. As of right now, I have not been given an estimated time of arrival from PG.

tonyflan1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cheers JeroenTil

I logged this with VMware and they seem to be not wanting to get involved atm. I then raised it with Microsoft 365 support who advised me to relog through Azure support, which I have now done. Just waiting to be knocked back with them but let's see.

Please let us know if you get anywhere before we do. Rgds

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you share your MS case#.

I have a meeting with them at 12 and want to try to correlate the cases.

0 Kudos